Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Which used with the superlative    

Which used with the superlative

Goodboyboy
Brazil

Which used with the superlative

People can you help me?
I was working with the book of my company and we saw the following sentence.
What is the most expensive car in the world, the Ferrari or the Audi?
in this case, shouldn �t we use which????
Please  help me! 
xoxoxoxox
Cristiano - Brazil

25 Mar 2010      

traute
Spain

Hello,

You are right because we use which when the answer is limited, for example: which pen do you want, the green one or the blue one?
And we use what when the answer is general, like: what �s your name?

Have a nice day.

25 Mar 2010     

douglas
United States

I think it is a matter of a common use issue.  I was teaching question swords last week and a student answered "Which  is your favorite day of the week?"  I started to correct him, but realized I was just acting on my own habit.  "Which" is technically correct, but I often use "what" in these situations (which just "sounds funny").

Maybe some of you rule experts have a better explanation...

Douglas

25 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

I agree with douglas - I �m no rule expert but many �irregularities � in English exist because that �s what people say.

A classic example is that of �can � and �may �. My grandmother used to tell me off if I used �can � for permission because according to the rules of her generation that was unacceptable. Now it is one of the first modal verbs we teach - and the rules say it may be used for permission.

I believe something similar has happened with �what � and �which � - once upon a time �which � wuold have been the correct answer but now it is no longer the case.

Lindsey

25 Mar 2010     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Douglas and Lindsey have it right. "Which" is definitely the correct word when you have limited choices, but it is nearly gone in the US. We do use it sometimes if the things to choose from are there with you.

What is your favorite model of GM car?
Which of these sandwiches to you want? (It �s impossible to say "what" here)
Which sandwich do you want? (when the sandwiches are there in front of you)
  Some people would say "What sandwich do you want?", but that isn �t so common yet.

Bruce

25 Mar 2010