Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Use of tense names    

Use of tense names

Mex233
United States

Use of tense names

I have noticed that in so many of the posted worksheets, the names of the tenses are capitalized.  I do not understand why.  I have checked various online sources, and have not seen any designation of tense names as proper nouns, which is the only reason they would be capitalized.  Of course, in the titles or headings of the work sheets, they should be capitalized.  I think that we, as teachers, should be careful of how we write and should follow the rules we teach. 

25 Mar 2010      

lshorton99
China

In English, it is acceptable to capitalise something for emphasis. I �m sure students are aware of this and it would not cause confusion! Of course we should follow the rules we teach but as many debates on this forum have shown, the rules are somewhat flexible!

25 Mar 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Are you sure it �s possible to capitalize something for emphasis? I thought that only went for titles?

I know we do THIS on the Internet all the time, but I don �t think that �s proper English.

25 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

I don �t think that in written English that that is acceptable either. I �ve seen it used as an exclamation in the imperative form but never within a sentence.

Example:

BANG! John�s gun went off by accident when he was cleaning it.

This is probably an Internet thing like Rabbitwho pointed out.

25 Mar 2010