Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Why I īm thankful that ( X) is my mother tongue.....    

Why I īm thankful that ( X) is my mother tongue.....

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Several years ago I fell for English, I did my best to learn it in some acceptable way. Whenever I hear the language or study its system it makes me feel 鮰ood and I am happy that I could interconnect this interest of mine with my job which brings me real satisfaction. But still I am so 麖roud of my mother tongue which I love so much! My mother tongue is Czech and as a language which is a relative language to Russian for they both are Slavic languages it works in quite a similar way. Which means that there are three genders, seven cases and lots of declinations and conjugations concerning 5 word classes. There are many forms of all nouns, adjectives, pronouns, numerals and verbs depending on its function in the sentence. Plurals, case endings etc. are formed differently with different words. The word order isn īt fixed, which is nice about it because you can vary it depending on what information you want to stress in the sentence. All the form changes mentioned above make it still fully understandable so that you still know whether a nouns is a subject, object etc. Moreover there are letters which do not appear in English, fe. ř, or č:-) The only thing which is simpler compared to English is the tense system, for nowadays there are three tenses that stayed from past. And also that it īs usually pronounced the way it īs written. I also think that our vocabulary is rich and wide. The whole linguistic system is very difficult and it is said to be one of the most difficult languages due to the variety of declinations mentioned above and due to difficult pronunciation. English native speakers coming to the Czech Republic find it extremely difficult to understand the system and impossible to learn it unless they live here for a really long time. All in all, I do love my mother tongue, it sounds really beautiful to me and I am proud of being able to use it properly. It īs much much more difficult than English and that īs why I always say to my students that learning English is one of the easiest things they can do:-) Colibrita, thanks for your interest!

25 Mar 2010     

baiba
Latvia

You know, Mish, what is surprising? That Latvian and Czech may be the only languages which have the same letter č. I once met a Czech who could read Latvian perfectly, and then we discovered our sound and letter similarities.

Priorita, I may be scared of the Arab letters, not so much of the language! Big smile But I think that their letters are very beautiful!

25 Mar 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Baiba, I am not definitely sure at all about this but I think that there might have been a certain stage of development when our languages were much closer to each other. Gonna find out more about this Balto-Slavic relationship. Then this wouldn īt be surprising at all:-) Have you got the letters �, ť, �, ř in Latvian as well?�

25 Mar 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Mish, we have got   č   �   �   ķ   ļ   ņ   but ordinary t and r.

I would be interested in your linguistic discoveries!

25 Mar 2010     

vardaki
Cyprus

The Greek language is very difficult, but beautiful and rich!

25 Mar 2010     

baiba
Latvia

I certainly agree, vardaki!

25 Mar 2010     

< Previous   1    2