Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > warming up activities about five senses    

warming up activities about five senses

Glamorous
United Arab Emirates

warming up activities about five senses

hi friends

On Sunday i am going to give a model lesson about five senses

usually in this type of lesson teacher has to come with new ideas in teaching , displaying, presenting ,.......

so i need some new warming up activties

i usually use ( roll and talk) this about rolling a dice which has some pictures on it �s six sides. . pupil has to give a full sentence about the picture he sees at the top.

( song with acting )  see , hear smell,l taste and touch

here are the links to the songs that i use

(T.P.R ) show me your eyes, ears .....and so on

Here is the page that i am ging to use

so

would you please  give me  some new ideas or tips

my students about 9 -10 years old ( grade 4)

their mother tongue is Arabic

( my visitors are mysupervisior , my headmaster and four other teachers from another school)

this lesson is my first model lesson

so please help meEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

26 Mar 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

I love doing the Feely Bag. You can also turn it into a Feely Box or a Feely Book. The point is to have some kind of a container (bag, box or book - actually a big notebook) which you fill with stuff that your kids can touch, taste, smell, hear or partly see. Let me explain simply - I put various objects in a black velvet bag and place the bag in the middle of a round table or carpet/blanket and have sts sit around. Then I have them close their eyes and pull an object from the bag. They have to use their senses and explain in English what they feel, taste, smell... and guess what it is. You can place in pieces of different material - e. g. silk, paper, wood, small candy or fruit(my kids love tasting for flavour), a small bar of soap, a pencil, a rubber toy, etc. just browse thorugh your bathroom, kitchen, kids � toys, school materials (chalk) and try it for yourself. If you have small rubber toy animals you can also mimic their sound so your sts can use the phrase - sounds like... Or have sounds recorded on your cell phone or MP3 (lots of sounds are available - transportation, animals and weather are my favourites) and write their titles on cards which your sts pull out of the bag with eyes closed - e. g. A TRAIN - then you play the sound and they guess. You can also play shadow games or something that reminds a bit of the Rorshach test - have flashcards which are a certian object on one side, but just it �s shape on the flip side. Place them on the board on the flip side and have sts guess what it looks like.
Best of luck!

26 Mar 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Very helpful for me too, Anita ! Thank you !  Smile

26 Mar 2010     

douglas
United States

You could show the children a picture of the famous "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil monkeys" (one has his ears covered, the other his eyes, and the last his mouth) and do one (or both) of the following things:

1) Ask questions about the picture:
How do you think each monkey feels?  Why are they doing what they are doing?  Which monkey is the smartest?

2) Have the children imitate one of the monkeys (each child then has his/her eyes, mouth or ears covered) and then tell a short interactive story where you use gestures and questions as part of it. Use statements like: "He was this big. (show with hands)" and "What should we name our little friend?"--things that exclude children based on the sense they can�t use.
 Afterwards ask the children how they felt/what they missed from the story. 

It might be a bit advanced, but it sounds like it would be fun to try (I just teach adults, so I don �t have the opportunity).

Douglas

26 Mar 2010     

adital
Israel

you can bring different kinds of food, invite each time another student, cover their eyes and let him/her taste it. They have to guess what that food is according to taste and smell.
just make sure you ask them FIRST if they are alergic to any food so you don �t end up in the ER.

26 Mar 2010     

mmbermejo
Spain

I hope it is useful http://enjoyscience.wikispaces.com/5senses

28 Oct 2011