Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Do you use blogging with your students?    

Do you use blogging with your students?

redcamarocruiser
United States

Do you use blogging with your students?

If yes, why do you find it better than using paper and pencil?

26 Mar 2010      

libertybelle
United States

I have a "secret" home page for all my classes.
I use it to upload their upcoming essays and assignments -
because I know they all have access to the internet - AND
they have no excuse NOT to do their homework.

They have often, in the past, said they forgot the assignment at school.
Well, now they can �t AND their parents can see what work they have to do.

I also like the fact that I save on natural resources, such as paper waste!
I �ve read about a school in a town in Germany that uses no paper at all.
All assignments are given online - the students send their papers in, on line,
the teacher corrects them and sends them back - and the students keep
the corrected assignments on their computer. No paper waste - Pretty nifty!!Clap

I don �t blog with my students because I don �t want to be on standby 24 hours
a day. Kids today expect instant feed back and I need them to know that I won �t be at their beck and call 24/7 - we have to have a life too!

L

26 Mar 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Thank you Liz for an expression I had never come across!  I won �t be at their beck and call 24/7. I understand it but What does it mean exactly?

26 Mar 2010     

baiba
Latvia

I have made a wiki page which I use with my students for extra activities. I also use Moodle. One of my favourites lately is Zoho Writer, which I use for collaborative writing tasks. Oh, and I have also used Writeboard for the same purposes.
I wouldn�t use blogging with students. If they do it independently, it�s fine by me!

26 Mar 2010     

libertybelle
United States

To be at someone �s beck and call is to be entirely subservient to them; to be responsive to their slightest request. To be on standby and come running whenever they want us to be there.
The word beck comes from to beckon

26 Mar 2010     

Mariethe House
France

thank you for the explanation! Very interesting!Smile

26 Mar 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

I completely agree with libertybelle. I have a blog for each book I teach and some wikis, online classrooms, chatrooms, etc. I �m also in touch with some through Facebook, Twitter and Orkut.

I post their assignments on the blogs, with explanation, online exercises, tests, videos, audio, etc... and they print and do, then we correct orally in class. I also give some support online through MSN messenger.

I �m engaged in a project at school to send parents all the info about the students by email. My school has around 900 branches in Brazil and abroad, and it seems Diadema (my city) will be the first to try it.

Of course we haven�t been ready to give up pencil & pen yet, but we �re working on it.

In the future, they won �t be able to give lame excuses for not doing their homework, such as:

- I forgot my (already done) homework at my friend �s (what a coincidence, exactly when it �s due...);

- I have done it, but it simply vanished (abracadabra!);

- The maid washed it with my clothes in the washer (is she blind?);

- My mother thought it was her report (in English???) and took it to work;

- The dog ate it (that dog has such an appetite, doesn �t it???).

And so on... I �m tired of listening so weird stories and I �m completely sure they will make better use of their imagination and creativity on their homework.

Have a nice day!

Zailda

26 Mar 2010     

Scheffer
Brazil

I �ve been thinking for a long time of creating a website for the same purposes you have mentioned and I also would like to have a kind of chatroom (as they love chatting) on the homepage. I think this would work as an extra option for those who want to practice while at home.
The point is: I have no idea how to start! Do you have any suggestions of a good (and free)website builder?

Thanks in advance.

Nice weekend for you all!!

27 Mar 2010