Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Pronunciation ... not so easy to get it right !    

Pronunciation ... not so easy to get it right !

aliciapc
Uruguay

Pronunciation ... not so easy to get it right !

27 Mar 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

All of you who love these pronunciation conundrums, check this outWink

27 Mar 2010     

anahutten
Canada

The sound may be the same, but the LENGHT of it is not... /I/ is short /i:/ is long. There is definetly a difference! Saying ship and sheep the same way may create only a little confusion but if you pronuonce sheet and shit the same, someone maybe offended!!! 

27 Mar 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

"I just wanted to let all English teachers know that we can pronounce  i and ee the same way and it �s ok !!"

What a strange thing to say! Of course, they �re pronounced differently. Ship and sheep are classic minimal pairs (there �s even a book entitled Ship or Sheep?)

27 Mar 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi almaz, I know it sounds REALLY strange, but I guess the context is more important than the vowel sound in this case. I think the teachers who have stated there �s no difference and are native speakers - we are not ! - can be trusted ... at least by me !
Now I see anahutten says differently, which I �m happy to hear ( I suppose you �re a native, too, Ana?) but it only confuses me more ... Well, at least I got another native giving her opinion, which is really helpful !
As I said, I can �t believe DICTIONARIES give us the wrong pronunciation !!

27 Mar 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Yes, Jayho, I went back to the original post and I see they were talking about Br and Am difference in particular, I don�t know what I was reading !!  Thank you for clarifying, sorry, my mistake. But at least now I know I haven�t pronounced it wrong all my life !  Thank you, Alexander, too !!

27 Mar 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Alicia, I am a native speaker, trust me.

27 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Alicia

I think you misunderstood what Bruce and Douglas said.  My interpretation of their responses is that in both countries the pronunciation of each of those words is the same i.e ship is pronounced the same in UK and US English.  This is in contrast to some other words such as new where the pronunciation is different.

Original post here .

Cheers  --  Jayho

27 Mar 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I do trust you, Alexander ! And now I see I got it all wrong, I checked the original thread, thank you Jayho !! Sorry I misunderstood ! I guess I was tired or sleepy and I didn �t get the part of Br and Am pronunciation !!   Embarrassed  Thank you all for the help, now at least I �m happy it �s always been correct to say  / I / and / i: /  !!
Thanks a lot, all of you natives who clarify our doubts !

27 Mar 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank you, Anita, I �ve seen it before, very interesting but sometimes difficult to read properly and without thinking pauses !!

27 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

I was explaining the difference to some FCE students a while back and they took great delight in saying �I �d like a sheet ... (pause) ...of paper! � The Spanish pronounciation makes �sheet � and �shit � sound very similar so they had hours of fun with that!

BTW - I have also been a native speaker all my life!

27 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >