Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Doubt!    

Doubt!

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Doubt!

Hi everyone .How do you say folar in English?
Thanks in advance!

27 Mar 2010      

Carla74
Portugal

Hi, Portugueseteacher! I think that Folar is a very Portuguese cake. The most similar thing is the typical hot cross buns, but I don �t think that �s the right translation for our "folar", just a very similar kind of cake/bread, as you can see in the picture (but no boiled eggs on the top! :))

Hugs

27 Mar 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

We don �t have them as far as I know, I believe Carla! So the safest thing in an exam or in real life is to say the Portuguese word and say it is a typical Portuguese cake and describe it.
It �s perfectly acceptable to just invite words from your own language into English if you know for a fact their is no equivalent and if you explain what they mean when you do it. That �s why English is such a melting pot of different crazy spellings!

They look nice.

You could always say they �re "like" hot cross buns, I tell people Hurling is like Hockey all the time just so I don �t have to explain it.

27 Mar 2010     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Thanks a lot for your help!!
I searched for the world in an online dictionary and it said something like"Easter bread given by grandprents to grandchildren".

27 Mar 2010