Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Questions    

Questions

mohammadsaleh
Palestine

Questions

This is really a strange question. At least in my opinion. I need ws about a type of questions like this example:

Is she making coffee? Can you tell me?

Then the answer will be

Can you tell me if she is making cofee?

What do we call this type of questions? Do we have any wss about it here in this web site.  Thanks in advance.

27 Mar 2010      

lshorton99
China

They are called indirect questions and if you search for �indirect questions � I know I �ve seen something. However, we also use the term �indirect questions � for reported speech so you might have to sort through the results a little!

27 Mar 2010     

mohammadsaleh
Palestine

I am sorry but I think you mean reported speech and this is totally different. Thank you anyway.

27 Mar 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

You �re probably talking about connectors/link words or, perhaps, transformations. The question might be somewhere along the lines of �change the following to make one question...�. I�m sure you�ll find plenty of worksheets here and elsewhere if you have a clearer idea of what you want. 

27 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

I don �t mean reported speech! I thought I �d made that clear in my post. For polite questions and requests we combine the two types of questions you have posted.

For example:

A direct question would be:

�What time is dinner? �

to phrase it more politely we would change the word order and preface it with an expression such as �Could you tell me/Can you tell me/Would you mind telling me/I �d like to know/I �d be interesting to know/I was wondering if you could tell me etc.

The question therefore becomes:

Could you tell me what time dinner is?

There are similarities of course with reported speech because of the change in word order and how yes/no questions are rephrased.

Anyway, there are still referred to as �indirect questions � or �embedded questions � (because one phrase is embedded within another).

Search for �indirect questions � and scroll down to the bottom of the first page and onto the second. There aren �t many worksheets but you should be able to find something!

Good luck!

27 Mar 2010     

Fabiola R
Argentina

They are called embedded questions, aren �t they?
Write that and search it that way..
I�ve had a look at it and I think that is what you are looking for...
Let me know if that is so...
Kisses!

28 Mar 2010