Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Questions to native speakers    

Questions to native speakers

Anutka
Russian Federation

Questions to native speakers

Dear teachers , could you explain please, what does it mean: "you are a second timer, aren �t you? Why did you return so late?" I don �t anderstand what a second timer is. And what is the difference between describe yourself and characterize yourself? Thanks a lot

28 Mar 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

Describe yourself means physically - WHAT DO YOU LOOK LIKE? how tall you are, your facial features, body, fashion style, etc. Characterize means your character - WHAT ARE YOU LIKE (AS A PERSON)? whether you are outgoing, optimistic, hard-working, etc.
As for second-timer, I �m not sure. It lacks situational context - it may be someone who is taking an exam or any sort of a test for the second time, but I �m not sure without the surrounding context. 
edit: sorry, I didn�t realise this was a question for native speakers only... ups!

28 Mar 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Second timer is a person who never comes first or does something first, or delays to do something...
describe yourself implies describing appearance and characterize yourself implies talking about personal qualities...

28 Mar 2010     

sulekra
Australia

A second timer or counter would imply that it �s a person who counts every second, someone who is never late, so maybe it �s normal for the person to be late and they want to know why, maybe there was a life-or-death meeting they missed...

28 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

I always assumed a second timer was someone who did something for the second time. Like saying �it �s your second time here � but I �m not sure that makes sense in the given context.

Describe yourself is a much broader area than characterise yourself. Describe yourself can cover physical appearance, personality - almost anything. Chracterise yourself only covers the type of person you are - your character.

Lindsey

28 Mar 2010     

Vernica
Belgium

I do agree with Kate, I �m a second timer I �m never on timeEmbarrassed
Imagine you are on a date, (second date with a man) If you get use to be always five minutes later that �s a second timer.

28 Mar 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Personally I have never heard someone being called a second timer.  I have heard the expression first timer, meaning it �s the first time.  I  would think second timer is a person or a timer that counts seconds.

28 Mar 2010     

Bella W
United Kingdom

I would understand �second timer � to mean, somebody doing something for a second time.

28 Mar 2010     

mariamit
Greece

In many US applications a second timer is a person who does/applies or takes something (for) a second time. Usually though the phrase is written in the plural.  IN the singular it usually refers to a machine which times seconds.

28 Mar 2010     

douglas
United States

I agree with Anita, Lindsey and Bella.  A second timer is somebody that is repeating something (doing it a second time).  Some of the other explanations really surprised me--I would never understand them that way.

28 Mar 2010