Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > hard...    

hard...

aliciapc
Uruguay

Don �t despair! We �ve all been there, at least most of us, I guess! It comes with the job...
But not all sts are like that, you won �t always have such behavior in class. I had to deal with sts similar to the ones you describe some years ago and I know how hard it can be, but patty is right, try to let them see the consequences of their behavior, and reward the ones who are not like that. For me, when I had that group I remember in particular, what worked was that I started giving some advantage to whoever worked better and listened to me, or brought some homework or simply answered my questions - less homework, a good behavior grade which would improve his/her performance grade, etc - and I made a point of letting the other ones see the difference. Little by little they started to want to have the same as the ones who behaved - some of them, there were some I could never motivate :-(
Anyway, keep your spirit up, mmanu, be patient and do your best. That �s the only responsibility we have as teachers.
A big hug.

30 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

I �ve had classes like that - I work at a private academy so I teach everything from 6 year old to exam preparation classes. My personal hell is the teen classes from starter up to intermediate. I had four classes of that level last year and they were beyond horrible! One of them even through one of my personal CDs out of the window! I tried everything that anyone suggested - went to every conference on classroom management, read every piece of literature I could find. I tried punishment, motivation, rewards, ignoring them, teaching the interested ones - I mean one(!) - you name it, I tried it. At the same time I had adorable little children and really motivated CAE students.

In the end, and maybe it sounds awful, I just gave up. I went to class, opened the book and taught straight from it with no preparation. The classes were dull. I was bored, they were bored but I survived the year with my sanity intact. This year, most of my classes are ok and some are lovely - I think it �s something of a lottery as my closest friend on staff has three classes from hell! However, a class she hated last year is now one of my favourites and one of my awful classes got split up and are getting on really well with their new teachers.

Try to stay positive - I think after an awful year you tend to get a better year - in my experience anyway. My first year teaching in this school, i had a class that was so bad I used to feel physically sick before teaching them. My mum (also a teacher) came to visit me and I asked her to observe the class to help me out. I �m nearly 30!

We �re all with you here. I now adopt a take no crap attitude to my worst classes and we seem to muddle through!

31 Mar 2010     

cordell_5
Turkey

we �re not alone,ha?
in fact i feel quite disappointed that new generations (generally) have the same profile. They aren �t motivated enough, they don �t like studying, they always want to have fun,just make jokes and laugh and make noise. They want the teachers to do everything for them.But they shouldn �t get it on a plate.
I �ve been teaching for just one year and i �m at a university with english preparation class students. I �m almost at the same age with them.It �s both advantages and disadvantages. They are hard to control and  they have "respect problem".
What I want to say is that, they are at least 18 years old, the problems aren �t directly about being a teenager.
Whatever happens, I love teaching and one day they will discover the taste in language learning! (?)
Take care....
Big hugs :)

31 Mar 2010     

< Previous   1    2