Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > schools    

schools

lape
France

schools

Hi everyone, I need some help. I need to start a topic on schools and get the students to compare three school systems, the French one and the English one because we are studying the British culture but we also need to work on the German school system too because we have found penfriends in Germany who are willing to come and visit us and then to host us.
I don �t really know how to get the class to start investigating. The students are 14 and very keen, especially keen on presenting their work to the class or eventually to the German class (with video conference)
How to make this topic fun, that is the question?Wacko

31 Mar 2010      

chiaras
Italy

I did something similar in the past, but with different countries (Japan, USA, Canada, Australia, England). I divided the class into pairs and I asked them to surf the Internet to find information about the school system of one of the above mentioned countries. Each pair had to work on a specific country, not on every country. Then each pair had to prepare a power point file about the school system of the country they had been working on and present it to the class. A pair even used music, all the pairs used pictures in their presentation. They liked this activity a lot. An alternative could be the use of a poster instead of a power point.

As a warm-up activity you can ask them questions about thier own experience at school, such as: Do you rememeber your first day at school? What was it like? What are your worst/best memories at school? What do you like most about your present school? What would you change in your present school? and so on...

Bye
Chiara

31 Mar 2010     

annelaure
France

I found a great school website; 
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/ and if you go on FOR ALL, they put plenty of info on their school and the educational system in general in Britain, I think there �s even a webquest somewhere, or you can create it as well....

31 Mar 2010     

lape
France

Thanks a lot to Chiaras and annelaure. i am going to develop the idea of a powerpoint presentation. they will eventually make a presentation that we will send to the German penfriends.
The Woodlands junior school is also full of information. ThanksBig smile

1 Apr 2010