Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching reading and writing    

Teaching reading and writing

stevenji
China

Teaching reading and writing

I �m supposed to give a leacture on reading and writing in May, and I am teaching students of 17-18 years old in a senior high school. Can anybody give me some clues? I �d be really appreciate.

2 Apr 2010      

stexstme
France

Hello!
I wish I could help...But for the time being, could you please open all your previous messages & click on : delete " - to keep just one ?
Thanks ;o)
Sylvie

2 Apr 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Ahhh what is going on?

Could you please delete all of your posts and leave only one?

2 Apr 2010     

stexstme
France

Thumbs UpThanks a lot! I do hope someone will help you!
Sylvie ( I �m sorry : I teach younger kids...)

2 Apr 2010     

stevenji
China

Hehe,I �m terriblly sorry for doing that.Cry

2 Apr 2010     

miss noor
Palestine

Hi,

This is my method in teaching reading

The lesson is divided into: introduction ( pre-reading ) , the body of the lesson ( during reading ) and the summery ( after reading).

Introduction:
It is a very important step in the lesson because it attracts sts to the lesson and make them guess the title of the lesson.

You can start the lesson with appropriate pictures , proverb ,short stories�.etc.
For example, if the lesson about food , we can start the lesson with this proverb : An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
U can write this proverb on the board and ask a student to read. Then say what do you understand from it. With many questions, sts can guess the title.
After that, ask sts to open their books . Ask sts to read the title , the subheading and the caption.
Ask : How many paragraphs are there ?
Talk about the pictures if they are found

Silent Reading:
Ask sts to read the passage silently to answer given questions.  ( usually I ask sts to underline the answers) ( Don �t forget to specify time ).
Then ask sts to stop reading and answer the questions orally.

Reading and Discussion :
Ask sts to read paragraphs individually ( Here it depends on the level of ur students )
If they are secondary , ask excellent sts to read. ( you don�t need to read)
After a student finish reading the paragraph, discuss it with sts by asking them many questions about it and explain the new words.You can use pictures , diagrams ...........
If the passage is long and you don �t have time , don�t read all of it but the most important idea in each paragraph.
After Reading :This is the time of evaluation
It is better to use a worksheet and ask sts to work in groups. ( it is important to specify time)

I think these are the most important steps in teaching reading.

Hope that helps,
Noor :)

2 Apr 2010     

tastybrain
Taiwan

Without knowing what your school �s situation is I would suggest considering how reading informs writing. As an instructor, think about how the process of learning relates to our method of teaching. Listening leads to speaking leads to reading leads to writing, right? Reception translates into conception. Exposure to the language is key. Real life language.

2 Apr 2010     

stevenji
China

1. Thank you "Miss Noor" for giving a detailed description of how you teach reading. But maybe I didn �t put what I mean right here. what I am supposed to do is not to teach reading or writing in a separate class but combine them together in a period of class for about 40 minutes. It �s really a tough job, isn �t it? Have you taught this kind of lesson before? If have, can you share your experience with us? or show some teaching materials for me?Smile

2. Many thanks to "Tastybrain" for providing some guidelines to teaching English. I think I have to digest them for the rest of my life in order to understand them and apply them in my class.Thumbs Up

3. Thanks to every single person who has run into this post and stopped to think about it. Please leave your footprint here.Tongue

3 Apr 2010