Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > difference between "do" and "make"    

difference between "do" and "make"

suyunruyasi
Turkey

difference between "do" and "make"

hi everbody,

i have a problem and want to share it with you. Today one of my students asked me the difference between do and make? i couldn �t give a clear answer 
Could you please tell me what the difference is ? thank you so much

Ebru
Best regards

2 Apr 2010      

aliciapc
Uruguay

Same meaning (unless part of an idiom or phrasal verb!) but different use . Some words take do and some, make. For instance, make a decision but do a favor, make a bed but do homework, etc.
Write "do and make" in the search engine and you �ll get great ws by colleagues to clarify which words go with each of the verbs !

3 Apr 2010     

Aurore
France

I often say to my younger students that "MAKE" begins with an "M" because it applys to activities that we do manually like "Make a bed" whereas "DO" applies to intellectual activities like "do homework". This works most of the time but not for "make a decision" for example but hen there are always exceptions to rules.

3 Apr 2010     

suyunruyasi
Turkey

Aliciapc, Actually at first i tried it. I gave them the words that go with do and make but they wanted an explanation, a rule I mean :S

Aurore, i will try your method i hope it will work

thank you for your replies :))

Ebru

3 Apr 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

I highly recommned you to take a look at this worksheet

3 Apr 2010     

markcox
Japan

Try this explanation:
The difference between make and do

3 Apr 2010     

yanogator
United States

Thanks for that link, markcox. It has an excellent explanation, but, unfortunately, one error. At least in the US, we wouldn �t say "make the report" meaning "create". To us, to make a report means to deliver the report orally, probably to a group of people, but maybe only to one person. We would probably also be more likely to say "write a report" than "do a report."

Bruce

3 Apr 2010