Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with a sentence    

Help with a sentence

aliciapc
Uruguay

Help with a sentence

Could anyone please tell me if there is sth wrong here ?
"Not only aren �t they thought to be honest, but also liars."
Wouldn �t it be better to say : "Not only are they thought to be dishonest but also liars" ? Is it correct to use a negative form after "not only ..." ??
Thanks for your help!
Happy Easter to all !

3 Apr 2010      

Fabiola R
Argentina

I think the second sentence is ok..

See you! Smile

3 Apr 2010     

kodora
Greece

You can �t use a negative form of a verb if there is a word with negative meaning such as never, hardly, scarcely, barely, not only, not till, on no account etc

Happy Easter to you too!

3 Apr 2010     

yanogator
United States

The second sentence is definitely correct. The first is incorrect, but not because of a double negative. It is because the verb is negated for "honest", but not for "liars". That just doesn �t work. You need a separate verb for the last part of the sentence, if you want it to work. That �s just way too complicated, so stick with the second sentence.

Bruce

3 Apr 2010     

PaulG
Costa Rica

Hi. That sentence doesn �t make sense. It does not abide by the parallel structure rule. You could say, not only are they not..., but the problem is with the second part. What this sentence means is: They are not honest, and they are not liars, which is a contradiction.
But anyways, the whole sentence is a little redundant. If someone is a liar, s/he is definitely not honest, so the sentence is just wordy.
I hope this helps.

3 Apr 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thanks a lot Kodora, Fabiola and Paul. I definitely thought there was sth wrong when I read it - FCE student - but couldn �t really say why, I just wrote down the second one as a correction but had to know what to explain to him later !!
And Bruce, thank you for your explanation, I had the idea it was wrong because of the double negative, not because of the reason you explained, now I get it.
                       Thumbs Up

3 Apr 2010