Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Unmotivated students    

Unmotivated students

inmaaa86
Spain

Unmotivated students

Hi!
I am teaching a group of adults who are not motivated and their level and ability is very low. Is there anyone who could help with nice material I can use with them? I �d be very grateful. Thank you for being there.

7 Apr 2010      

teresapr
Portugal

Can you give more details? How old are they? In spite of their low proficiency what is their real level - intermediate, advanced?

7 Apr 2010     

teresapr
Portugal

What kind of topics are they expected to deal with?

7 Apr 2010     

adital
Israel

If they can read you can hand out sheets written as a menu and you can play out a visit to a restaurant, have one of them be the waiter and the rest be the customers. It makes them deal with speaking and interacting.

7 Apr 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

strange, if they are adults that probably means they are there on a voluntary basis. So why would they be unmotivitated? It might be a good idea to ask themwhy they are coming to an English class to begin with. You might find out what they need the English for and thereby get to subjects that interest them. If they are sent therre because of work or something like that you might be able to cater more directly to their needs. It might also be that they feel akward or embarassed to participate rather than unmotivated, esp. if their level is low. In that case it is important to first of all make them feel at ease and make them believe that their level of English does not reflect on their abilities as a person or professional.....
( I usually tell my students that I learned Hebrew - their mother tongue - only as an adult and that I used to really blunder in it. that seems to help erase some of the embarrasment)
succes

7 Apr 2010     

misseleonora
Argentina

I love teaching adults, and what I do to encourage them and hook them is to adapt all the exercises to their own life. For example, I do a lot of role plays. If they are learning simple present, daily routines from a book, I make him talk about a national famous character, instead of the one in the book. Or talk about a friend, boss, etc.
I think the clue is to make it fun. I even create competitions between them, you will be surprised at how they can get involved in order to win, and they laugh a lot.

7 Apr 2010     

inmaaa86
Spain

Thank you for your help!

7 Apr 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

role play and flashcard games - get them speaking and laughing

7 Apr 2010