Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need help with a sentence    

Need help with a sentence

aniapen
Poland

Need help with a sentence

Can you tell me please if the question "Did you have good fun?" is correct? I �m correcting a written work and don �t know whether to correct it or not. Thanks in advance! Hugs!

7 Apr 2010      

teresapr
Portugal

I �d just say:Did you have fun? or Did you  enjoy yourself?

7 Apr 2010     

lovemykids
Uruguay

Y completely agree with youSmile

7 Apr 2010     

tastybrain
Taiwan

It sounds awkward to me. I would edit it. Depending on the context, I would consider changing it to "Was it good fun?" (if you think the expressing good fun should stay) or "Did you have a good time." (if the adjective good feels like it needs to stay) or "Was it a lot of fun?"

teresapr �s suggestions also work if you like how they sound!

Hope that helps! Good luck.

Maybe give us the context of the dialogue/story.

7 Apr 2010     

aniapen
Poland

Actually the work is a written competition prepared by someone else. I must correct it and send it to the person who prepared it. The kids were supposed to translate a sentence from Polish into English and, according to the key, it should be "Did you have a good time in New York." One of the best students wrote "Did you have good fun in New York." I �m confused :/
Thank you for your answers!

7 Apr 2010     

tastybrain
Taiwan

Yeah, we only use the expression good fun in the way that I described above (at least that I can think of off hand). Usually people say something like, "It was good fun." I �ve never heard anyone use "have" with "good fun" so I would advise against it. Seems like the key was right!

Fun is good in general anyway, so I guess it �s redundant to say it that way.

7 Apr 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

"Did you have fun?" is fine.

7 Apr 2010     

aniapen
Poland

Thank �s for your help. I �ve just corrected it :)

7 Apr 2010