Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need help from native speakers    

I need help from native speakers

miss noor
Palestine

I need help from native speakers

Hi,

I have a question

The word uncle means :
un�cle [ �ngk �l ] (plural un�cles)

noun 
Definition:

1. parent �s brother or brother-in-law: the brother of somebody �s mother or father, or the husband of somebody �s aunt

Can u tell what do you use to specify the person ?
For example, my uncle visited me.  ( Is he your father �s or mother �s brother ? )

In Arabic Language there are 2 words.
A word means mother �s brother and one means father �s brother.

The same things with the words : cousins and aunts .

thanks a lot in advance,
Noor

7 Apr 2010      

lshorton99
China

English doesn �t have different words which specify. We would say �My uncle on my mother �s side � or �My aunt on my father �s side � etc. Basically the noun + my mother �s/father �s side.

7 Apr 2010     

yanogator
United States

Unfortunately, our words for relatives are sometimes not very specific. We have one word each for uncle, aunt and cousin (and even with cousin you don �t know if it �s a male or female cousin). Also, I have two grandfathers, but one word, and two grandmothers, but one word. For a language with so many words, we fall short sometimes!

Bruce

7 Apr 2010     

honey76
France

Hi

In everyday speech you can only indicate the side of the family that he belongs to, by adding an additional phrase to explain the relation.

In a scientific or medical text you might be able to say that he is your paternal or maternal uncle.

Hope I �ve been of help.

Angela

8 Apr 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Miss Noor

Yes we just say uncle.  In fact, many people don �t enquire whether it�s an uncle on your mother�s or father�s side.  It�s a given that it is a male relative of some sort.

An uncle generally can be anyone who is your parent�s brother or siblings brother and you refer to them using their first name e.g. Uncle Bob, Uncle David I�m going to visit my uncle [first name] .  Hi Uncle [first name].

Cheers

Jayho

8 Apr 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Fortunately for language learners, English keeps it quite simple when it comes to relatives. There is only one word for uncle, aunt, cousin, grandmother, grandfather, brother & sister (older or younger) etc, whereas many (Asian) languages have different words for these.

If it �s really needed, you can always ask for clarification, but like Jayho said, but people hardly ever do.

8 Apr 2010