Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > AUSTRALIAN WRITERS    

AUSTRALIAN WRITERS

Mariquita
Spain

AUSTRALIAN WRITERS

Hello again my fellow teachers!

I join the general gratitude to Victor and his idea of adding birthday reminder to share warm words to people wordwide!

Let see if you can help me...Do you know any famous Australian author (male or female although it would be good news if I get to know about some famous woman! Clap or any Australian winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature?
My idea is to analyse in class some famous or interesting novel, play or poetry by writers from that country where the vast majority of population speaks English.

Thanx a million and night night to everyone!Smile

Mariquita xx

7 Apr 2010      

manonski (f)
Canada

http://www.abebooks.com/docs/Community/Featured/australian-authors.shtml

Scroll down to Geraldine Brooks.

7 Apr 2010     

Mariquita
Spain

Did I say wordwide?? and worldwide as well! Are not words our best and most used resource and tool to transmit values and light the way to our ss?? Star

Thanks in advance!

7 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

Thomas Keneally - he wrote Schindler �s Ark which was adapted for the film Schindler �s List and The Playmaker which was adapted into a play about the settling of Australia by Timberlake Wertenbaker (British, female) into a play called Our Country �s Good which I studied at school!

7 Apr 2010     

Mariquita
Spain

Thanks to you both for your quick response to my request!

It�s a shame that I had never heard about those great writers, above all Thomas Keneally and his Shindler�s Ark as inspiration for that film adaptation which turned out to be a great success! Embarrassed

nite nite!

Mariquita xx

8 Apr 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Mariquita

Are you interested in a particlular genre? 

- Paul Jennings, for example, is a famous contemporary children�s author.  He has won dozens of awards as well as an Order for Australia for his services to children�s literature.

-Colleen McCulloch wrote several award winning books and has also been awarded an Order of Australia.  Her most famous novel is �The Thorn Birds�, an epic set in the Australian outback.  It was later made into a best selling mini-series.

- Henry Handel Richardson was a female writing under a male name (as they did in those days).  Her most famous book was �The Getting of Wisdom� written in 1910 and made into a movie in the �70s.

- Miles Franklin was very famous.  She wrote �My Brilliant Career� in 1901 when she was a teenager.  It tells the story of an irrepressible teenage feminist growing to womanhood.  This has also been made into a film.

- Helen Garner (wrote based on her own life experiences), Kathy Lette (humour), Kerry Greenwood (crime), Sally Morgan & Alexis Wright (both indigenous writers) and Rachael Treasure (Australian outback) are just a few contempory female authors.  They are all great.  

You can find a list of significant Australian authors here and a complete list  here

We have one Nobel Prize winner in literature, Patrick White (1973). 

Cheers

Jayho

8 Apr 2010