Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vacation or holidays    

vacation or holidays

vardaki
Cyprus

vacation or holidays

Help please:
When we use vacation and when holidays? Or is the same?
For example: Summer vacation or summer holidays?
Thank you!

8 Apr 2010      

douglas
United States

Good question because it is different in the US and the UK.

Vacation is mostly a US word and we use it to talk about the days we take off from work and/or travel (in the UK these days are called holidays).

Holiday in the US usually indicates a "legal holiday" meaning the day is free from work by law, for example: Christmas Day, New Years day, etc (these are called bank holidays in the UK).

Douglas

8 Apr 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Vacation = holiday(s)

Use vacation if you prefer AmE, holidays if BrE. Same goes for elevator/lift, sidewalk/pavement, color/colour etc. You can use either, but I think it would be best to stick to either AmE or BrE and not mix them, especially in academia. BTW, most if not all speakers will understand both.

8 Apr 2010     

Malvarosa
Spain

When do we have to use the plural, that is, what is the difference between

I go on holiday

I go on holidays

8 Apr 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

The correct expression is I go/am on holiday.

8 Apr 2010     

yanogator
United States

Surprisingly, Douglas left something out. In AmE, holiday can be a legal holiday or a religious holiday (Christmas Day is both). He did acknowledge this, of course, by saying "usually".

Bruce

8 Apr 2010