Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with "coffee vocabulary"    

Help with "coffee vocabulary"

newuser07
Argentina

Help with "coffee vocabulary"

Hi!!!

Pls could you help me out?
Do natives talk about white coffee and coffee with milk? What�s the difference?
And how do you call the one in which milk is the main ingredient and just a little bit of coffee? In Spanish we call it "lagrima"...
Thanks in advance!!!!!

Have a great Sunday Smile

11 Apr 2010      

Redbull
Thailand

hI newuser,

� � Black coffee is without milk......  � � White coffee is with milk or milk powder.......SO WHEN ORDERING COFFEE WE SAY WHITE COFFEE PLEASE.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOW Wink

11 Apr 2010     

newuser07
Argentina

Thanks for your answer Redbull! I knew black coffee and white coffee. Maybe I didn�t make myself clear. White coffee is the one with just a little milk and coffee with milk is larger and with more milk? The one that I�ve never heard is "lagrima" looots of milk and just a little coffee...
Thanks again :)

11 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

In the UK, coffee culture is relatively new. Generally coffee is black (water, no milk) or white (water, varying quantities of milk - the person would specify �a drop of milk �, �very milky � etc)

In Spain, coffee in bars is milk (no water) and coffee and this is now also more normal in England. Generally in coffee shops, such as the eponymous Starbucks, a milk-based coffee is referred to as a �latte � which I assume comes from the Italian! We also talk about expresso and americano (which is the more �normal � English black coffee with a drop of milk.

Hope that helps.

11 Apr 2010     

SueThom
United States

In Seattle--home of Starbucks as well as a few other coffee-based companies--we talk about "coffee" and "lattes". 

If someone asks you how you like your coffee, you might answer "black", usually meaning without either milk or sweetener.  Or you might say "with cream", meaning a little bit of cream or milk or dairy substitute (powdered or liquid form).

Lots of milk with a shot or 2 of espresso*  is a "latte" here.

I �d never heard the term "white coffee" until just recently and, interestingly enough, I think it was when I was in Spain.

*Note:  "Espresso" is a type of concentrated coffee brewed by forcing steam through darkly roasted coffee grounds.  I believe you �re correct that it originated in Italy.  I suppose because the word is so close to  the English word "express", it was often mispronounced "expresso" and now that �s so common it �s listed in the dictionary as a variant of espresso.

11 Apr 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

In Canada we use black coffee meaning without milk or cream.  I have never heard of " white coffee".  We say "latte " and  caf� au lait" when it has lots of milk.

11 Apr 2010     

Ximenne
Armenia

Thanks! I �ve taught my students to say white coffee when they referred to coffee and milk; it�s interesting to learn how native speakers actually refer to this :-)

11 Apr 2010     

Ximenne
Armenia

Thanks! I �ve taught my students to say white coffee when they referred to coffee and milk; it�s interesting to learn how native speakers actually refer to this :-)

11 Apr 2010     

newuser07
Argentina

Thanks a lot for all your answers!!!! :)
It�s a pleasure to be part of this great community
Have a great weekend!!!

11 Apr 2010     

FroggyClaudine
France

When I was in Scotland, people used to talk about white coffee to refer to coffee with milk but I never heard any expression for milk with just a little bit of coffee...

11 Apr 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Newuser07

We Ozzies LOOOVE our different coffees.  Our fancy coffee shops have an amazing array of choice for us.  No longer do we have to stick to the standard black or white coffee of the days gone past.  These are now called Long black and Flat White and are  really quite boring when we have so many exciting blends on offer.  You can see some of the different types here:

Milk with just a bit of coffee is either a latte or a machiato.  These coffees work on a recipe of ratios of milk to coffee. 

Cheers

Jayho

12 Apr 2010     

1    2    Next >