Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Categories - London but no NY?    

Categories - London but no NY?

blunderbuster
Germany

Categories - London but no NY?

Hi there,

I just wanted to suggest adding a category "New York" or at least "USA." There is a category for London and one for the UK but the world is bigger than just Europe and people in South America learn American English, don �t they?

;o)

Regards
Regina

12 Apr 2010      

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hello Regina,
I agree with you, it �d be nice to have a category for the USA :) Thumbs Up

12 Apr 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

SO many categories should be added to the lists...
there is next to nothing about literature, which makes me really angry sometimes. I teach a lot of literature and find it difficult to place worksheets here.

12 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

The USA is basically a British colony, right? Put it in the UK section!

(Please nobody kill me - I �m joking!)

12 Apr 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

so, ishorton, where do I put worksheets on  "interior monologue" or "stylistic devices" or "drama theory"? On "characterization" and "decolonialization"??

Can you find me a category for those topics, too?

(I �m half-joking, because those are my problems here...)
Wink

12 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

I have found the perfect category, don �t worry! It �s called �other printables �!!!!!!!

Some expansion of categories might be needed! I �d like to see even a better speaking section - most speaking materials are neither conversation nor role-play.

I pretty certain we want to avoid decolonialisation anyway - it �s definitely where things started going wrong in the world...LOL

12 Apr 2010     

Miss Paulaey
Argentina

Hi Regina,

Just because we live in South America doesn �t imply we only learn American English.

Just to let you know, here in Argentina, South America, we learn standard English. Although our textbooks maybe either British or American, we teach our students to be aware of different accents and vocabulary/language differences by watching to films/ TV shows, listening to songs and so on from any English speaking country we can find.

Personally, I don �t consider necessary such a category. "Other printables" works for me.

Maybe if you �re using specifically American English in your worksheets you should add something like (Am Eng) when you upload them.

Paula

12 Apr 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

I don �t find a category for GAMES either, and I have uploaded several games. It �s a bit frustrating
Miss Paulaey, I thing "blunderbuster" didn �t mean American English but America or New York as subjects (immigration, American Dream...)

12 Apr 2010     

Ximenne
Armenia

I agree with Ed: there should be a Literature category because at times it �s difficult to teach this subject especially among young learners (poetry has been giving me headaches for years!)

Anyhow, I think the problem with Literature is that each of us is working with different texts and that may make difficult the creation of useful worksheets to everyone.

Still I do believe Literarture or Poetry should be sections to bne added if everybody agrees and if this is not so big a deal.

Regards!

12 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

All joking aside, a general Literature section would be a good idea. It could be an umbrella term to cover poetry, drama and novels etc.

Maybe there could be a section for native countries non-UK? Although I don �t see the need for a NY section - it �s not a capital city like London and I think London is included because so many summer schools visit it whereas there aren �t, as far as I know, the same number visiting Washington DC.

12 Apr 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

New York is a BIG issue in German school books, just as much as London, only for slightly older students.
There are many aspects of American civilization that we study in my country, and I wouldn �t know where to place worksheets on any of them.
Just to give you some examples:

Civil Rights Movement
The system of "Checks and Balances"
American cities
Environmental issues in the USA
Political Speeches
The American West
Native Americans
Religion in the USA

------------->>>>>>> all of these are issues concerning America that
                                                        our students deal with, and there are many
                                                        more...

12 Apr 2010     

1    2    Next >