Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Holocaust Memorial day    

Holocaust Memorial day

jennybohmes
Argentina

Not only those who opposed to Hitler but those who didn�t obey his rulers or give him his famous salute.

12 Apr 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

A few days after my uncle died in December 2005, I learned that my grandpa was arrested a few days after my uncle �s birth in 1933 and was taken to a concentration camp in the south of Germany. Apparently, my grandfather was arrested because he supported the communists. He was a "Lutheran protestant" who used to question god if he allowed for so many innocent children to die in a war. I once confronted my teachers with this opinion and was given the answer that not god but the people were responsible for wars and the cruel things that happened in them.

Anyway, my mother was born in 1938, I do not know how and why my grandfather managed to come back home, but I know that he was a broken man and that, because of this, people in my family, including myself, have been making personal decisions that, retrospectively, show that what was going on in Germany during the Third Reich, is still affecting us today.

There is a museum on the Obersalzberg that shows a poster on which death is riding a cannon ball, saying "turn off the lights" or death will find you. Ever since, I have been trying to imagine my mother and how she felt as a little child seeing that very poster.

Why am I saying all this? I guess because I want to make people understand that the non-Jewish Germans as well, were victims of that regime. I am saying that because the media back then were not what they are today. I am saying this because most Germans did not have the power or/ and education, possibilities.....what it took to stop from happening what happened. The time from 1933 to 1945 is the most explored part of German history, people still do not understand why and how this happened and if it could happen again, here or elsewhere. Have people really learned from that? Have people really changed? Not only Germans have monster genes inside of them. Fur is becoming fashionable again, some animals are skinned alive. People don �t want to or simply don �t know. I am not comparing things, I am just saying them.

I teach 8th-graders in German (native speakers) and want to read "Maus" with them later this year. It is not on the reading list, it is an experiment and a risk. I also want them to check out Henio �s facebook profile. I want them to see, feel, be alert, be courageous, but I don �t want them to feel guilty.

I feel for all creatures, all victims, now, in the past or in the future.

Regina

12 Apr 2010     

pirchy
Israel

I just want to add that there is great educational value in mentioning this day.

To begin with, The Diary of Anne Frank is read all over the world and not only by Jewish people. Therefore, it �s important to give some historical background about the events that led to this horrible Holocaust. It is very important to mention that not only Jews were killed by the terrible Nazi regine.
Second, The Book Night by Eli Wiesel, which describes the terrible experience of the narrator as a young teenager in a concentration camp, is also read in many countries and especially in the Israel and USA.
We must teach our children so history does not repeat itself.

12 Apr 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I love this site because we can share and learn so many things, and not just improve our skills as a teacher!!!

today I learnt about Holocaust Memorial Day, maybe next week I will learn about a special day that is celebrated by our Muslim members, and next month  about a tradition in India that I knew nothing of...
last month I think a member started a great subject on superstitions / Friday the 13th / black cats... and I realized each community has its own superstitions, it �s was amazing, I loved it!!!!

let �s be open-minded and share our knowledge! If we can talk about Valentine �s day and Mother �s day, why shouldn �t we talk about the Holocaust, which affected so many human beings... so thank you for bringing that subject up!!!

take care!!!
Elodie

12 Apr 2010     

olaola
Italy

The Holocaust is something that everybody should know, especially the younger generations. People should never forget, I think we teachers have an important role in this.

12 Apr 2010     

mariamit
Greece

All of Europe was a victim of the Holocaust. The name itself is enough to raise hair. I don �t understand how some peole can say that it isn �t an educational topic. It is educational. Education means to teach our children and those who come after them "never again". As Regina said this could have happened anywhere. If we want to make sure it never happens again we should learn and you can only learn by being taught.  

12 Apr 2010     

eng789
Israel

I never new my grandparents, aunts and uncles or cousins because of the Holocaust.  But I promise you that when I bow my head for the minute of silence,  I think of all those who lost their lives for no reason.  

We do more than teach English - we also teach about culture and people.  The Holocaust is a stain in human history which should never be forgotten because it could easily happen anywhere to anyone. 

Hatred and discrimination are terrible things.  When kids learn how they can affect people,  maybe they will be able to help prevent them from happening in the future.   We need to teach respect and understanding by exposing our pupils to new cultures and traditions.

This is truly a wonderful site because we can pass on to our students the things we learn about eachother. 

12 Apr 2010     

savvinka
Russian Federation

I had a spare minute and read the all the messages attentively.This theme has touched me.
I respect  Nata for bringing the topic  to the forum and absolutely agree with the above statements saying that the teachers have to be broad-minded and educated people  and have the fair viewpoint on the historical events. I even can �t imagine a teacher who can answer the pupil �s question about the Holocaust that he doesn �t care... It �s a profonation.

12 Apr 2010     

< Previous   1    2