Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > THE SHAMBLES    

THE SHAMBLES

WestHampstead
Spain

THE SHAMBLES

Hi!
Can anyone please explain me what the shambles are? I think it �s a place in York, but I don �t know what it refers to.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

12 Apr 2010      

coyote.chus
Spain

Here �s what I found in google.

http://www.insideyork.co.uk/shambles

12 Apr 2010     

rmouh
Morocco

According to CALD3: Shambles /ˈʃ�m.bl ̩z/ noun [S ]informal a state of confusion, bad organization or untidiness, or something which is in this state. � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �e.g:� 1. After the party, the house was a total/complete shambles. � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �2. Our economy is in a shambles. �� � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �3. �The way these files are arranged is the biggest �shambles I �ve ever seen.

12 Apr 2010     

WestHampstead
Spain

thanks!

12 Apr 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Chus has the right idea. I �ve been to a couple of shambles in Northern England - Chesterfield and York - and they both refer to meat markets/butcher shops (although they seem to be full of pubs etc now). The mess/untidiness that you �d expect from this sort of concentration (old-fashioned butchery rather than your average, modern-day, English market town drunkenness)  presumably gave rise to its modern meaning.

12 Apr 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi West Hampstead

Chus �s link is very interesting.  There �s also a wiki entry here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shambles

It sounds like a great place to visit.

Cheers   ---  Jayho

13 Apr 2010