Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > listening MP3 during lessons - What is your opinion?    

listening MP3 during lessons - What is your opinion?

ynroko1
Slovenia

listening MP3 during lessons - What is your opinion?

Hi.

I have been working as a substitute teacher in the upper high classes (13-15 year old students).
Most teachers at the school allow students listening to MP3 during their individual work. In addition, students also say that they work better.
But, I think opposite and I don �t allow them listening to MP3 during my lessons. Do I have wrong?
What is your opinion about that?

Have a nice evening/day.
Y.

13 Apr 2010      

teresapr
Portugal

I think you �re right!That would increase sts � lack of concentration, misbehaviour...In my country it would never be possible!

13 Apr 2010     

curelo
Brazil

Dear Ynroko1, I agree with you, I mean, I don�t like my students listening to any gadget while we are working in class. Actually, it is against the school rules.

The problem is; as you said, the great majority of other teachers let them listen to it.  

I think you have to go to the "root" of the problem and ask the counselors and/or the coordinators the reasons the students are allowed to do it...

I mean, If you go against students, they may coin you as the only one who doesn�t allow them, and it may work against you, do you know what I mean?

I understand you perfectly, we are very committed teachers but sometimes we must adjust to the school�s principles and dance in the same rhythm of the song, if we want to save our jobs...

Wish you the best!

13 Apr 2010     

stexstme
France

Well...I �m amazed!! In my country, this would not be possible, fortunately!! You might be shocked, but in my ( State ) school, students are NOT allowed to :
- have MP3s  - wear caps or hats INSIDE. - Chew gum. - have mobiles. - Wear Baggy trousers. - Wear tops that are "too" short. - Wear heavy make-up for Girls - Have piercings in the Sports classes....etc!
The Kids where I teach are quite �hard � sometimes, but they �re quite happy with those rules ( which obviously they do not get at home! ) They �re between 11 & 16.... 
A student who would not follow these rules would be 1/ told off once 2/ Expelled ( & We have some each year...)
Sylvie

13 Apr 2010     

ynroko1
Slovenia

Thank you for your opinions. And, yes it �s true that you "have to dance" as the majority says to fit in...

stexstme2 I have to tell you that in case of wearing caps - the same techers do mind...
In my homeland (I �m not Swedish) we have also THE rules... 

And finally, I experienced Sweden as a paradox ... so it �s quite difficult to fit in ;(

Have a great day/night.
Y.

13 Apr 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I don �t think that kids should be multi-tasking the whole time.
Music with no lyrics can be fine - like the Mozart effect - but
I think that it �s good for kids to be focused on one thing at a time.
Therefore - My students are NOT allowed to listen to their Ipods
while working.
They should be part of the class during lessons.

L

13 Apr 2010     

Chriss-MX
Mexico

I think is good for them, they relax and focus better than if they haven �t their music.

14 Apr 2010     

harelyta
Peru

Ohhhhhhh it usually happens with i don �t know what kind of teachers
What I do is
I give them songs to learn during the bimester so they have pastrd them in their notebooks, of course...or usually they know the lyrics very well so when I let them a task (like writing) they always ask me to put the Cd in the radio but not in Mp3 players or ipoods , cell phones e
and i do it but We don �t make so much noise, that is only sometimes, not always because good behaviour is very important I agree
Regards
Harelyta

14 Apr 2010