Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > look vs. look like,,,    

look vs. look like,,,

hamxy
Mexico

look vs. look like,,,

hi!! teachers!!!

what �s the difference between "look and look like"..gramatically??? i

cuz i have to teach this topic and im a kind of confused!! =S how could i make my students understand their use?????

have a good day!!!

14 Apr 2010      

lshorton99
China

Grammatically, look is a verb, look like is a phrasal verb - verb + preposition. A phrasal verb usually has a non-literal meaning i.e. �look like � doesn �t mean enjoy looking!

Look like is also stative, whereas look is dynamic - generally we don �t use look like in the continuous.

However, I �m not sure the grammatical differences are key in teaching the differences between these verbs as the differences in meaning are more important here. Look is a physical action - something we actively do. Look like is a synonym of ressemble or appear and is entirely involuntary - �She looks like her mother � - you can �t choose to ressemble someone physically. It looks like it �s going to rain � - again, this is the appearance.

14 Apr 2010     

hamxy
Mexico

ook thank you very much!!!very useful information!

keep enjoying ur day!! =) Smile

14 Apr 2010     

nightrider51
Turkey

look is a verb of perception. we usually use an adjective after look. � looks different, look nice, You look tired today. � etc. Look like is followed by  �a noun or a noun phrase � It looks like a vase � or �You look like doctors in that white shirt. � I hope it helps

14 Apr 2010     

sulekra
Australia

As nightrider said look like is followed by a noun or nouns phrase, and will mean "similar to" but be careful not to confuse it with as if/as though, which is generally followed by a clause.

I look like my younger sister.
My cat looks like a small black panther.
You look like a ghost. You look ghostly.

It looks as if it is going to rain - Not "it looks like it is going to rain" but colloquially it is used...
You look as though you are hungry = you look hungry.
You look as if you �ve seen a ghost.

14 Apr 2010