Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Observations    

Observations

GIOVANNI
Canada

In Canada we use doubt as Libertybell stated.

I have doubts about this or that...
or
I have my doubts..........
or
I�m not so sure about that...............
or
I doubt that very much....
or
I�m in doubt is used quite often
I teach in Quebec and many of the French Canadian Students pronounce  "third" as  "turd ".

If you haven�t seen this, check it out, it�s cute.

http://www.english-zone.com/language/english.html

HAVE A GOOD WEEK-END EVERYONE!

21 Nov 2008     

Zora
Canada

Hi Vickii,

"Tengo una pregunta..." is also correct sometimes...it is used more like when somebody - the teacher, for example, is asking a student a question about something? Not necessarily asking for clarification of something though. You would say, "Tengo una pregunta para ti. �D�nde est� el hospital?" See asking for precise info, whereas "Tengo una duda..." would be used for example "Tengo una duda... �Aqu� hay un alg�n hospital?" you are asking for them to tell you whether or not there is a hospital in the city...

21 Nov 2008     

pitudiaz
Spain

Vickii and Spring, you have a surprise in my newest printables. It was juist for fun!!!

21 Nov 2008     

pitudiaz
Spain

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=134629#thetop

21 Nov 2008     

dennismychina
China

Hi Vickii

Doubt is very much alive in a native speaker�s vocabulary. (in more ways than one J)

It�s not used with an article through. Except in one instance that I can think of and that is, to give somebody the benefit of the doubt in a discussion where there isn�t conclusive or convincing fact or certainty. So if you have a doubt you would say �I�m doubtful.� (I think)

It�s usually used as follows.

Disbelieving or uncertain;          I doubt that.

Undecided;       I doubt if��.

To feel sure of something is to have no doubt

For a certainty one could say without doubt. If you believed something wholeheartedly it would be without a shadow of doubt.

And uncertainty ��..I doubt whether�.  I don�t doubt that he is a good athlete but I do doubt whether he can win gold. (or) Without doubt he is a good athlete but I doubt whether he can win gold.

Very long winded, sorry.

I believe it came from the old French word duter and or the Latin word dubitare.

As for remembering the pronunciation of island, sorry no idea.

I teach (conversational) in China and here we have Chinglish. For things like �I wish you happy every day. Six is sex three is tree or free vegetable is wegetable and not pronouncing the last letter of a word, especially hard sounds. Quite lovely although hard on the ear.

21 Nov 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Dennis,

I have become accostumed to being called BeeeKeee.  I use to forget to respond but have now learnt to respond as if it was actually my name! 

Thank you for the list of doubts!

cheers
Vicki

21 Nov 2008     

< Previous   1    2