Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need help on correcting writings    

I need help on correcting writings

lapaoiza
Argentina

I need help on correcting writings

Hi everyone! I�m bothering you this time because it�s the first time I am correcting writings from my sts but I don�t know how to mark them...

Do you have any suggestions or webpages which can help me?

My sts are at elementary and pre-intermediate... I know which the mistakes are, and the importance of content in each writing, but I don�t know how to reach the most appropiate mark.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance!!!

Paola

15 Apr 2010      

savvinka
Russian Federation

Hi, Paola,

Have a look here

Olga

15 Apr 2010     

lapaoiza
Argentina

Hi Olga, 

First of all, thanks for your help...

I�d like to explain that I know the equivalence between numbers and letters when marking, in fact, I use both... my problem is that I don�t know how to reach the mark...

Should I "count" the grammar mistakes? or shoud I pay more attention to the content of the writing?

Is there any way to realize (as easy as possible) if the writing is good or bad and which mark corresponds to it?

Thanks again...

Paola

15 Apr 2010     

lovinglondon
Spain

HI Lapaoiza,
When I mark my students � writing I bear in mind 2 different aspects. On the one hand I mark the structure of the composition, that is, that they write an introduction, a body and a conclusion, each of them with their most appropriate connector:

As an introduction, as far as this topic is concerned, etc (INTRO)
On the one hand, on the other etc...(depending on the topic in the MAIN BODY)
As a conclusion, in a nutshell, etc (in the CONCLUSION)

A part from this, I also count that they write other connectors in the MAIN BODY.

On the other hand I also mark the content of the composition, I mean, that they write more difficult structures apart from a present simple. In the case of my older students I want them to write conditionals, passives, relative sentences, etc (you can adapt this to your students, of course). I also mark that they write specific vocabulary or phrasal verbs. If I tell them to write a composition about food, I want them to write specific vocabulary such as junk food, fast food, or any other word we have seen in the classroom. Also, I want them to write idioms, such as "dog in the manguer", "sleep like a log" and so on.

I hope it is useful for you!!
Good luck!!

15 Apr 2010     

lapaoiza
Argentina

Hi Lovinglondon!

Thanks for your reply! It has been useful!

Paola

15 Apr 2010     

lovinglondon
Spain

I �m glad to hear that!! If there �s anything else I can help, just tell me!!
have a nice afternoon (or morning in Argentina!!)

15 Apr 2010     

redcamarocruiser
United States

There are many rubrics here for various purposes and student assignments:

http://school.discoveryeducation.com/schrockguide/assess.html

You can use rubrics with specific point values attached to the criteria you want to grade.

http://www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/printouts/Essay%20Rubric.pdf

is a rubric specific to essays. And this is one for persuasion essays

http://www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/printouts/Persuasion%20Rubric.pdf

15 Apr 2010     

lapaoiza
Argentina

Hi Redcamarocruiser!

Thanks for your links! They are useful as well as the previous answers.

Thanks a lot.

Have a nice day!

Paola

15 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

I think too much focus goes on error correction in writing and not enough on actual writing skills.

I basically use the Cambridge exam system of marking and apply it to all levels - I look at content, organisation and cohesion, accuracy, range, style/register (intermediate and above) and target reader. When applying this to lower levels I basically consider whether or not they have effectively answered the question, if their writing is well organised, ifit contains a lot of errors (I don �t count them), if they have tried to use different vocabulary and structures (wether successful or not) and the effect the writing has on me - do I struggle to read it, is it interesting etc. If I �m giving actual marks then I score out of 5 for each category then divide to give a mark out of 10.

The more practice you get at marking, the less time it takes - you don �t actually need to write your marks for each category - you �ll be able to give the mark without needing to break it down.

Hope that helps!

15 Apr 2010     

monchis
Mexico

Rubrics are very useful and sometimes I use www.rubristar.com

There is a section to create writing rubrics and you can modify them according to your needs.

16 Apr 2010     

lapaoiza
Argentina

thanks for all your help!!!

Paola

16 Apr 2010