Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Bad or badly?    

Bad or badly?

joserik
Spain

Bad or badly?

Hello, everybody!
Could you help me, please? Is it correct to say "he behaves bad" or "he behaves badly"? Could you justify your answers? Thanks in advance!!

17 Apr 2010      

ilango_eng
India

Hi

he behaves badly is correct because the verb "behaves" is qualified by the adverb "Badly" but not  by an adjective "bad". Adjectives do not qualify a verb they only say something about a noun or a pronoun

ilango

17 Apr 2010     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Hello joserik,

I would say "he behaves badly", because "badly" is an adverb... "How does he behave?" "Badly" is the answer. If you want to use and adjective, you could say "He is badly-behaved" or "His behaviour is bad", but I would really prefer the first option, sounds more natural to me.

Bye

17 Apr 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I agree with both.

17 Apr 2010     

donz-54
Indonesia

I think it �s supposed to be "he behaves badly" since u are using an adverb. like we all know that an adverb modifies a verb. here u modify behave.

bad is an adjective. it modifies a noun. for example: he showed a bad behaviour. here you modifies behaviour which is bad.

really hope that it helps.
best regards,
donny

17 Apr 2010     

joserik
Spain

Thanks so much to all of you.
Things are much clearer now.
Hugs!

17 Apr 2010     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Badly is the good answer!Hugs!

17 Apr 2010     

Fabiola R
Argentina

I totally agree with donz-54 and banska bystrica

Their answers are very well explained and clear..

Faby!

17 Apr 2010     

libertybelle
United States

He behaves badly is the correct answer because badly is an adverb and describes the verb behave.

17 Apr 2010