Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Could a native speaker give an advice, please?    

Could a native speaker give an advice, please?

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Could a native speaker give an advice, please?

Hello everybody,

Could you tell me which of these would you rather use?�

I have to work tomorrow

I will have to work tomorrow

I assume that both of them are correct in terms of grammar, but which of these sound more naturally to you and why?�

I �m constantly eager to learn more, so thanks a lot:)� mish

17 Apr 2010      

libertybelle
United States

It all depends.............
But if I �m busy and have to go to work - then I would say:
I have to work or go to work tomorrow.

17 Apr 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

I know you directed your question specifically to native speakers but nevertheless...
To me "I have to work tomorrow"  is stating a plain fact, the way you would say it if you work at regular days and it is normal that you have to work the next day. I would use this any evening as a way of explaining it �s time to get to bed or time to get my classes planned.
�I will have to work tomorrow � sounds more like a consequence of something...
I thought my lessons were cancelled or I thought I would be off work but then I got a phonecall telling me I am to come to work...In that case I would use "I will have to work tomorrow" (contrary to what I thought before).. Or - another situation I find myself in now and then - when I have wasted my weekend away which means that I will have to catch up for time lost by working on my free Sunday.... Also in that case I would use "I will have to work tomorrow" , again, this is a kind of consequence of not having worked before..
Does this make sense to you?

17 Apr 2010     

teacher jessie
Argentina

It does to me!
And by the way mish.cz, "advice" is a non count word. You should say "some advice" unstead of "an advice".

17 Apr 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Yes, it does. Marion, thank you for your kind and helpful responseStar

17 Apr 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

And thanks Jessie for correcting my silly mistakeEmbarrassed

17 Apr 2010     

yanogator
United States

Just to expand on Marion �s excellent explanation, you could say "I have to work tomorrow" in all of her situations. I can �t think of a situation when "will" is actually necessary, but it definitely works and sounds natural in her examples. Her explanation that it sounds like a consequence or an unexpected situation when you use "will" is definitely correct.

Bruce

17 Apr 2010