Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > April fools day    

April fools day

g�lsm
Turkey

April fools day

Hi dear teachers,
I �m preparing a speaking lesson for my students.The subject is "April fools day".

Could you please give me some idea about the subject by concerning the questions below

How is April Fools Day celebrated in your country?
Is there any speacial tradition for that day?

Thanks in advance for your help

18 Apr 2010      

karolkamonika
Poland

Well, in Poland this is the day when you can fool people and they can �t punish you for it ;) so basically everyone fools everyone and you �re never sure what is true and what is not :) quite a frustrating feeling but that �s what Fool �s day is all about. I don �t think it �s different from other countries but I get the impression that fooling all the people around you on Fool �s Day is more common in Poland then in any other country (but, of course, I might be wrong)

In the 17th century people treated this day as the day during which you shouldn �t do anything significant so when the treaty with Leopold I Habsburg was signed on April 1st 1683 they even changed the date on the document for March 31st so it wouldn �t be treated as a joke or something :)

19 Apr 2010     

lynn_28
Costa Rica

Hi ! In my country ,Costa Rica- latin america, Fool �s day is not celebrated on April, but December 28th. On that day people play pranks and jokes on others.  and when a person is pranked the pranker will say " PASO POR INOCENTE"  ( refereing t the fact of being fooled) 

19 Apr 2010     

Anna P
Brazil

Karolkamonika, the same change of dates happened in Brazil. "The Brazilian coup d ��tat against president Jo�o Goulart by the military on the night of 31 March 1964..." really happened on April 1st - and it was a terrible joke on the country. We suffered a military dictatorship for 20 years.

19 Apr 2010