Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > can you check it? I ´ve some doubts    

can you check it? I ´ve some doubts

dilex
Turkey

can you check it? I ´ve some doubts

Complete the gaps with the correct form of the verb in brackets. Present Perfect Simple or Past Simple.

I have travelled (travel) a lot since I was at university. I (1) ……have enjoyed…… (enjoy) seeing new places for many years and last summer I (2) ……………had…….. (have) a memorable holiday. My wife and I (3) …………went……. (go) to Montpellier in the south of France. (4) ……have…………you ……ever been…………. (ever/be) there? I don’t think  I (5) …have seen……………… (see) such an intereting place for a long time. In fact, it was my brother who  (6) …recommended…………. (recommend) it to me. Believe it or not, he (7) ……has visited…… (visit) this city seven times! I can see why. The beaches are lovely and the architectue of the old centre is superb.

We (8) ………ate…… (eat) some delicious food and, on our last night, we (9) ……………saw… (see) an incredible performance by acrobats in the famous  Comedy Square. I (10) …have…watched.. (watch) a lot of shows in my life but very few as good as that one. However, I don’t think I’ll do the same as my brother because there are many other beautiful and exotic places that we also want to visit.

19 Apr 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I think everything is fine apart from (6) where the Simple Past is not correct in my opinion, because we don´t know when exactly his brother recommended that city to him. I personally would even use the Past Perfect (had recommended) in that sentence.

19 Apr 2010     

lovemykids
Uruguay

I agreeThumbs Up

19 Apr 2010     

nightrider51
Turkey

I think the blanks are correctly filled but the outline or sequence of the events may be    

revised.

19 Apr 2010     

mcolon
Puerto Rico

All of them are correct, including the 6th one. My only comment is that the 4th one must be written with capital letter in Have.
Best of Lucks!

19 Apr 2010     

yanogator
United States

Both options are correct for #6. The past perfect is better in a very strict, formal grammatical sense, but isn ´t necessary.

Bruce

19 Apr 2010     

dilex
Turkey

thank you for your comments

19 Apr 2010     

Ribeiro2
Brazil

It ´s correct .Well done.Just correct Have in #4.

19 Apr 2010     

tara
France

I ´m from Montpellier, what a coincidence ! 6->present perfect, there is a link between the past and the present. And architecture instead of architectue
xxx

20 Apr 2010