Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > bold print, italics , ........... and what īs the third one?    

bold print, italics , ........... and what īs the third one?

elderberrywine
Germany

bold print, italics , ........... and what īs the third one?

Please native speakers, can you help me out?
I know the words "bold print" and "italics", but how about normal print? Is there a word for that, too? "normal" sounds so unprofessional...
I don īt even know the word in my own language, so I can īt look it up anywhere!
Thanks in advance

20 Apr 2010      

vardaki
Cyprus

Regular?

20 Apr 2010     

atsanti85
Canada

Hello :)

If you mention "standard" font or "regular" font, people should be able to understand what you mean.

You can use the word "default" to explain the font that Microsoft Word (and other programs) automatically begin with.

:) Aileen

20 Apr 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

thanks a lot!

20 Apr 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi ElderberryWine

Aileen and Vardaki are correct in saying regular and standard font.  Some people will also call it normal or plain font.  I ask my students to only use Arial 11 or Times New Roman 12 (because thatīs what government, businesses and universities use as their standard fonts) so I, and many others, usually refer to that particular font instead of using the other terms (regular, standard etc).

Cheers

Jayho

21 Apr 2010