Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > PEOPLES    

PEOPLES

Tatiana712
Belarus

I agree with�maoopa and ben 10.�My dictionary is of the same opinion�Wink

21 Apr 2010     

Laly59
Spain

Peoples is not correct, people is a collective word, means:+ of  1 person, plural is people, this can use if we want speak about different groups or o a lot of persons 

21 Apr 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi Guadalupe,
maybe it helps you if I translate for you :  1 .  person =  persona 
2.  people =  personas o gente  ... but in a different context ...   3.  people / s  =  pueblo / s

21 Apr 2010     

zailda
Brazil

People is usually followed by a plural verb and referred to by a plural pronoun: People are always looking for a bargain. The people have made their choice.

The possessive is formed regularly, with the apostrophe before the -s: people �s desire for a bargain; the people �s choice.

When people means �the entire body of persons who constitute a community or other group by virtue of a common culture, history, etc.,� it is used as a singular, with the plural peoples: This people shares characteristics with certain inhabitants of central Asia. The aboriginal peoples of the Western Hemisphere speak many different languages.

The formation of the possessive is regular; the singular is people �s and the plural is peoples �.
At one time, some usage guides maintained that people could not be preceded by a number, as in Fewer than 30 people showed up. This use is now unquestionably standard in all contexts.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/people

21 Apr 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi

I agree,  since about three o � clock ( it �s past midnight, now ) with Mauro Bonello and Zailda. Even collective nouns can have plural. A collective noun is a plural, but what if we have two different groups pf collectives of the same kind?
Spain, for example - there are several peoples in this country. UK, you have people from England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland; so the peoples from,... the different "kind" ( sorry, no better word ) of different people who make the British are a group of different peoples.

Quote:
3. pl. peo�ples A body of persons sharing a common religion, culture, language, or inherited condition of life.

Off to bed, pity, I love this kind of " fighting"
Tomorrow I �ll check up

Kisses
linda

22 Apr 2010     

Jayho
Australia

The others are correct in that peoples can be used but it depends on the context.

The Penguin Working Words (A Guide to Modern English Usage) states:
People (plural peoples) can be a collective noun referring to a tribe, race or nation, in which case, it is usually followed by a plural verb.  A singular verb is sometimes more appropriate.

You�ll also find it in any quality dictionary as well as on good dictionary sites here on the web including here

Generally, we primarily use people in the singular form and imo that is the safest to teach.  In your example it should say people.

22 Apr 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

i found the same thing zailda explained though let me tell you that i have never heard native speakers used peoples i have heard six people.

22 Apr 2010     

dturner
Canada

I think the use of �peoples � may be an archaic form of the plural word.  As I read "The Book of Negros", I noticed that the main character used peoples often, so I began to wonder if perhaps it was used as a plural form a long time ago, but not now-a-days.  By the way, everyone before my post had very good explanations for the usage.  Way to go team!!!!

22 Apr 2010     

maoopa
China

I did not think this topic was to cause such a controversy.

Of course, 1000 times, the word peoples is normally used in everyday English (especially in academic settings) meaning group of people, nation, tribe.

"In the traditions of Indo-European peoples a hero is often a twin, who acquires soon after his"

22 Apr 2010     

zailda
Brazil

As I previously said, there are three cases:

person (human being) - singular --> plural "people"

person (grammar - pronoun) - singular --> plural "persons"

people (tribe or nation) - singular --> plural "peoples".

In the sentence that originated this debate, the correct is "six people".

In grammar we say: the persons I and she (for example).

Referring to nations / tribes: The ancient peoples were nomadic.

22 Apr 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >