Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Tips. Please    

Tips. Please

Urpi
Peru

Tips. Please

Hi dear teachers. I am quite nervous  I am taking the FCE tomorrow. Any tips you would like to share with me?
Thanks.

21 Apr 2010      

lshorton99
China

First, relax! Read each question carefully before answering! Remember to write an answer for every question - never leave a blank!

Reading part 1 - read the whole text first so you get the general idea before attempting the questions. Look for pronouns and synonyms to help you understand what the question is referring to.
Reading part 2 - again, read the whole text through and try to predict what is missing. When you �ve chosen your answers, read it again to make sure it makes sense.
Reading part 3 - read all the questions before reading the texts. Once you know what you are looking for in the questions, you can scan the texts for the correct information.

Writing - it �s very important that you include everything the question asks for - if it says to include 3 things, include 3 things! There are usually 3 or 4 content points to include. For part 2, choose the question you feel most confident and have the most knowledge about. Don �t choose an article because you like writing articles if it �s on a subject you know nothing about. Formal writing is generally more structured than informal writing so in a way it �s easier! don �t answer about the set texts unless you �ve studied them.

Use of English parts 1  - make sure you know what is being tested - what area of grammar or vocabulary is asked for.
Part 2, think of the word class before putting in your answer. Read all the information that comes before an after to make sure you have chosen the correct word.
Part 3 - again, think about word class and don �t forget negative prefixes! For parts 1-3, read the whole text through when you finish to make sure that your answers make sense.
Part 4 - Don �t write more than 5 words (contractions count as 2 words) - if you want to put more than 5 words, your answer is incorrect.

Listening part 1 - underline key words in the question
Listening part 2 - read all the sentences through before answering. Make sure you write the exact words you hear
Listening part 3 . think of other ways of saying the question when you read it. For all parts, use the time to read the questions carefully so you know what you are listening for.

Speaking part 1 - expand on your answers, don �t use just one word.
Speaking part 2 - use words like so, but, maybe, I mean etc to structure your speaking. There are two parts to the task so make sure you answer both parts. Listen to what your partner says because you have to give a short comment on their nphotos.
Speaking part 3 - Interact! Look at your partner and agree and disagree - it �s very important that you show you interact, even if you don �t reach an agreement.
Speaking part 4 - again, give extended answers.

Most importantly, be confident! Picture yourself going into the exam, picking up the pencil and knowing the answers.

Good luck!
Lindsey

21 Apr 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Lindsey, that is one answer and a half! I have some students doing the FCE exam at the next diet in Girona and this is exactly the sort of advice/encouragement they need. Sombrero!

Alex

21 Apr 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Lindsey Thumbs Up

21 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

Thanks guys - if you �re interested, I have a powerpoint for FCE and CAE giving all this advice and more. I can �t post it here because a lot of the info comes from books but pm me and I �m happy to share it!

I �ve never had a student fail yet so I �m keeping my fingers crossed for my lovely group in June!

Claudini - you �re going to be fantastic tomorrow!!!

21 Apr 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Good luck Claudini!! Have a good night �s sleep ! That also helps before an exam ;-)
Anyway, that �s just about the only piece of advice I can give you : Lindsey gave you all the important ones already !!  Thank you Lindsey! I �ll talk about your suggestions with my ss too! Hug

21 Apr 2010     

anaisabel001
Spain

Good luck ,Claudine!!

Lindsey, Thanks for your great pieces of advice. Good night!

22 Apr 2010     

j.araujo
Brazil

Hi Claudine! =)
I �ve already taken that exam... It �s too exhausting!=/
So try to relax... I know it �s too difficult �cause everybody tends to get nervous a day before.
But try to sleep well and good luck buddy!

22 Apr 2010     

eng789
Israel

Dear Claudini

I wish you the best of luck on your exam. 
Think positive.

22 Apr 2010     

denfer
Czech Republic

Good luck on your exam Claudini! 

22 Apr 2010     

serene
Greece

Claudini, I wish you the best of luck!

Lindsey, thanks a lot for the useful tips!

22 Apr 2010     

1    2    Next >