Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Doubt... Help!    

Doubt... Help!

teacher drica
Brazil

Doubt... Help!

Hello!

I have a doubt. Can I answer this question using I �m too ou I should use "I am too"?:
A: We �re here for the concert. How about you?
B: Yeah, I �m too.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Adriana

21 Apr 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Hi,

Even though I �m sure it �s grammatically wrong I have heard native speakers saying "Me too." in such cases. It �s not correct, but it �s still said like that by some native speakers!!

Hope you �ll get more useful answers soon. ;))

Best wishes - Silke

21 Apr 2010     

teacher drica
Brazil

Thanks for your reply but I have to choose between: I �m too or I am too  to complete a grammar exercise.

21 Apr 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

In your first post you didn �t mention that you only have these 2 possibilities to choose from. ;)) And I consider none of them correct, BUT would go for the first one (I�m too.) if I had no other choice.

Since I �m a non-native speaker let �s wait for one of our native "experts" to answer this question. --- Lindsey, where are yooooouuu?? Smile

21 Apr 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Nothing wrong with the usage �me too � - it �s commonly used in spoken English. Using �I am too � is definitely better than �I �m too � (although I �m sure even this might raise a few eyebrows in a concert queue - depending on the band, of course :)).

Regards,

Alex

21 Apr 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

As Topolina and Almaz have said, most native speakers would say �Me too � - grammatically inaccurate as the reply shoud be �I am too � i.e. �I am here for the concert as
well. �
I �m too � would only be used if you conclude the sentence e.g. �I �m too warm; please open  the window. � �I �m too tired to go out tonight. �

22 Apr 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

What about ... ?

So am I.

22 Apr 2010     

tancredo
Portugal

I agree with you, Olindalima.

22 Apr 2010     

donhay
United States

I would say "I am too".  I would use I �m too busy.  I �m too tired.  But I never say I �m too as an agreement or as a stand alone statement.

22 Apr 2010     

SueThom
United States

I doubt you �d ever see it written by a native speaker as "I �m, too", nor would they say that �s what they were saying.  However, to someone who was not fluent in English, I can imagine that hearing someone say "I am, too" at the speed of normal speech could sound like "I �m, too".

22 Apr 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Me too is not grammatically incorrect - it is perfectly correct, as is I am too and So am I.

22 Apr 2010     

1    2    Next >