Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > age of students&teachers behaviour    

age of students&teachers behaviour

xlpee
Turkey

age of students&teachers behaviour

Hi friends!
Do you happen to know a site which can give answer to my questions below or you can give your own answers depending on your teaching situation.

-To what extent does the age group of students affect the teacher �s behaviour?
-To what extent do you think the time of the lesson affect the performance of both students and teachers?(what �s the difference between 1st hour and the last hour of the day)

Thanks in advance:)

22 Apr 2010      

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi xlpee,
age group affects not only your behavior but also what you plan for the class! It �s one of the most important factors to bear in mind when planning a lesson. Also, I wouldn �t try to teach a kid in a deductive way or teach an adult using emotions and gestures so much as I do with kids. You also have to remember that kids � attention span is much shorter than teens or adults so you can �t spend a long time with the same activity.
About times, when I work at 7.30 in the morning I usually prefer to begin with a game or sth like that which "wakes ss up" (and me too!) being so early, but I find ss work better than, say, at 12 midday, when they are about to go home and maybe are already tired .
But then, that �s me, maybe some other teacher has a different opinion or experience.
A hug!

22 Apr 2010     

xlpee
Turkey

Thanks a lot for your help dear Alica. Have a nice day!

22 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

I agree with Alicia. When I teach little students, I �m more relaxed and �silly �. I �m also more tactile - I �d pick a small child up or ruffle their hair which I obviously wouldn �t do with teenagers or adults! I also have more routines with the younger students and have the class slightly more organised - it �s the only class where I copy and paste my plan, only changing the language and relevant for the class- otherwise we start and end the same.

With teenage classes I �m a lot stricter. I don �t accept behaviour which I might allow in small children. My older students - late teens/adults are all in FCE or CAE classes so I treat them as adults and I �m a lot more relaxed. I also sit down more in those classes because I don �t need to control them.

I start work at 4 and finish at 10. My first class has usually come straight from school and tends to be a little restless. The little ones are next and they are always energetic, which tends to perk me up a little! My 3rd class can be a little tired and the last class, being higher level tends to be ok, but I �m usually very tired!!!!

I think my (and their) behaviour is less dependent on age and more on level. There are certain levels which always cause more problems - elementary to pre-intermediate teenagers. I have students in an intermediate class who are the same age as students in an elementary class but their behaviour is much better and I behave differently.

hope that helps!

Lindsey

22 Apr 2010     

xlpee
Turkey

It �s very kind of you to write soo long Lindsey Smile Of course it helped! Thanks a lot for your reply!

22 Apr 2010