Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What īs the meaning of "nuk"?     

What īs the meaning of "nuk"?

Isabel L
Spain

What īs the meaning of "nuk"?

Hi guys,
 yesterday I downloaded a ws about microwave oven invention (sorry, I don īt remember whose ws it was) and there was this word "nuk". I guess from context that it means to put sth in the microwave oven but I haven īt found it anywhere, I asked a native speaker who doesn īt know it and now I don īt know if it could be a mistake or something. Do you know the word? Do you use it? What does it mean exactly?
Thanks a lot.

22 Apr 2010      

lshorton99
China

Do you mean īnuke �?

We use īnuke � idiomatically as a verb to mean heat food in a microwave. īI īm going to nuke some pasta for dinner tonight. �

As far as I know, it comes from the word īnuclear � as in bomb or explosion. You can also nuke a city - meaning drop nuclear bombs on it.

Hope that answers your question!

22 Apr 2010     

kmtr
United States

I agree with lshorton99.  That īs how we use "nuke" as well.  (But it can also be used in a more serious manner as in drop a nuclear bomb on a place.)

22 Apr 2010     

Isabel L
Spain

Thank you,
I īll assume that it īs a typo then.

22 Apr 2010