Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can I have, please!    

Can I have, please!

savvinka
Russian Federation

Can I have, please!

Hi, dear collegues,

Today I would like to learn if ithere �s any distinction between= Can I have? 
and Give me please!=
Which is appropriate to say for a student when he wants to borrow a pen from another student, for example! As to me, I inclines to think Can I have? is more polite, but met in some computer games (hidden objects) the characters often said "Give me the axe and I �ll cut the tree... or something like that. I feel that Give me... sounds like an order. Am I right?

Thanks to everyone  beforehead.
 Olga

24 Apr 2010      

savvinka
Russian Federation

I �m sorry for a misprint - beforehand of course!

24 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

You �re absolutely correct.

Give me... even with please on the end, is an imperative - as you said, an order.

Can I have... is a polite request and is also more common in native English. You might find a small child saying �give me � but no adult ever would!

25 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

I should add - unless they were trying to steal your bag! I �m pretty certain muggers say �gve me � (at least in films!). Probably British muggers are ever so polite and say �Can I have your bag please! � LOL

25 Apr 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

LOL ! Hug

25 Apr 2010     

Larisa.
Russian Federation

Great explanation, Lindsey ! LOL Thumbs Up

25 Apr 2010     

juliag
Japan

I agree with everything Lindsey said but would like to add that in this context to my ears "Give me.." sounds less like a request to borrow and more like a way of saying "Pass me..." which we can also say in the imperative, or more politely, compare:

"Pass me the salt, dear."

"Could you pass me the salt, dear?"

I know that we do use have when we want to borrow something, but for borrowing things I always teach;

"Can I borrow your pen, please?" or "May I borrow your pen, please?"

Hope it helps.

Enjoy your day.

Juliag

25 Apr 2010     

Apodo
Australia

I would use �give me � in this way and it sounds quite polite:

Would you be able to give me a lift to work tomorrow? My car will be at the garage.
 give me a lift = take me in your car
Could you give me a hand shifting all those boxes into the storeroom? I need to get it done before 3 o �clock.
 give me a hand = help me

25 Apr 2010     

izulia
China

I was corrected by my British colleague when I was teaching my 5-10 year old students. She said we MUST teach  �May I...? � instead of �Can I ...? � when talking to teachers.
Is it really so impolite for a child to start a question with �Can I ...? � when approaching an adult?
I would really appreciate native speakers � opinions.
Thank you, Zulia

25 Apr 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

Zulia, I would suggest that your colleague is an older person or very particular with grammar.

Certainly "can I" was considered absolutely appropriate by my grandmother �s generation. As a child she always corrected me.
However my grandmother was born in 1898 so I �m guessing we have moved on since then!

You will find most native speakers nowadays would say "Can I?" and not cause any offense at all.
I tell my students the difference but don �t expect them to use "may I"

That �s what I love about language elarning...it is always changing!
Cheers Joy

25 Apr 2010     

izulia
China

Thank you, Joy for your answer and thank you to Olga for starting this post. :)

25 Apr 2010     

1    2    Next >