Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Doubt about a relative sentence    

Doubt about a relative sentence

MsPoppins
Spain

Doubt about a relative sentence

Dear All,

I downloaded a ws some weeks ago about relative clauses. There is one particular sentence which is giving me some trouble. Here it is:

"That high yellow building on the corner was recently built. There �s a solar panel on its roof"

The aim of the exercise is to make one relative sentence by joining both of them. Can you think of a way starting with "That high yellow building on the corner..."

Thanks a lot in advance.
MsPoppinsSmile

26 Apr 2010      

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Hello,

I �d say this:

The high yellow building on the corner, which has a solar panel on its roof, was recently built.

zuzana

26 Apr 2010     

mimau
France

That high yellow building on the corner on the roof of which there �s  a solar panel was recently built.
or maybe ....that high yellow building on the corner on whose roof there �s a solar panel...

26 Apr 2010     

MsPoppins
Spain

Dear zuzana,
it happens the same to me, I end up changing the verb in the clause.

I was trying to find a sentence using "whose". Do you think this one is grammatically correct?
The high yellow building on the corner, whose roof there is a solar panel on, was recently built. (It sounds weird to me, but I don �t know why)

Thanks a lot.
MsPoppins

26 Apr 2010     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

aha, I overlooked the condition about one sentence only, sorry...

I agree with mimau....

26 Apr 2010     

MsPoppins
Spain

Thanks a lot mimau, I think we were writing at the same time, that �s why I didn �t see your answer.

Your second option is similar to mine, you placed "on" before the relative and left the commas out.

26 Apr 2010     

Daffodil
Mexico

Hi Ms Poppins,

according to my notes the sentence "there �s a solar panel on its roof" is a non-defining relative clause. That means that it just gives extra information about your main sentence but it is not united to its meaning. In this case you can write the relative clause between commas and use the relative pronoun "whose". Your sentence would be as follows.

That high yellow building on the corner, whose roof has a solar panel, was recently built.

If you notice, the sentence between commas can be removed and it doesn`t affect the main idea of your sentence.

26 Apr 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

I don �t see anything wrong with Zuzana �s original version (I see a non-restrictive/non-defining relative clause in a single sentence); and if you want to emphasise the solar panel, I �d suggest:

That high yellow building on the corner, which was recently built, has a solar panel on its roof.

I find the other constructions a tad clumsy/over-elaborate.

Cheers,

Alex

26 Apr 2010     

MsPoppins
Spain

Thank you very much Daffodil and almaz!!

I definitely agree with your alternatives. I think using "whose" in this particular sentence would be awkward.

And yes, almaz, we are dealing here with a non-defining relative clause.

Thanks a lot for your great help!!

27 Apr 2010