Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > take photos and make photos    

take photos and make photos

Sonn
Russian Federation

take photos and make photos

Good day to everybody!
Is it possible to say make photos istead take photos with the similar meaning "to photograph, to snapshot, to shoot "?

27 Apr 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

This is a very common mistake that many Germans make: they say, "let �s MAKE a photo" instead of TAKE, because in German we don �t "take" a photo but we "make" one. Is it the same in Russian?

As far as I know it �s definitely not possible to say "make a photo" in English, but let �s hear (read) what others have to say...

27 Apr 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hello topolina and sonn,
It �s definitely "take", not make.
A  hug  !

27 Apr 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

Yes, it �s also common for Russian speakers.

As far as I know it is possible to say "make pictures/photos" but the meaning will be "to add something to your picture (a frame, a border), to retouch or to edit it, or simply to create a picture".

e.g. This site allows you to make photos online with celebrities of the world. It is simply enough to insert your photos, and you will have a photo of your celebrity preferred. (from the description of http://www.photowithme.com/)

But one of my collegues said that "make pictures" and "take pictures" are synonyms. I doubt it but maybe she is right. That is why I am asking.

27 Apr 2010     

yanogator
United States

Children "make pictures" with crayons. A camera is used to "take pictures".

Also, I �ve never heard "snapshot" used as a verb, although there is a current fad of making verbs from all nouns ("Impact" as a verb annoys many people. It has nearly replaced "affect" here in the US).

Bruce

27 Apr 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

Thank you very much Bruce, aliciapc and topolina!

27 Apr 2010     

ihusan
Maldives

Very Nice

28 Apr 2010