Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Moodle server?    

Moodle server?

cheezels
New Zealand

Moodle server?

Hi all,
Currently I am using moodle through my employer �s server while teaching for them.

I want to create my own moodle courses but I need to set it up on a server.
Does anyone else use moodle, and have set it up through a FREE server?
If so how did you do it and who did you use?

Problems? Any advice gratefully received!
Hug

27 Apr 2010      

baiba
Latvia

Hey cheezels,

I am using Moodle installed on the school server but you may need to read this to decide if you have any other possibilities.

Here is a list of Moodle hosting sites, see if you can use any.

Good luck!

27 Apr 2010     

yogiba61
Spain

Dear Cheezels,

I have done a moodle course recently and I also want to create my own, there is one free server called Byethost, have you heard about it? I haven �t done anything yet but a friend of mine told me that free servers are not good enough. You can try and let me know what it is like. I can �t do it myself till next month.

27 Apr 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi all of you

I am using moodle through my school �s server  since 2007 ( ? not sure, more or less), but as I work with kids I feel moodle is a little bit boring and dull, you can �t upload as many pics as , my opinion, would be great for young kids ( 9 to 12 ). So, I decided to have a blog where I can post the things in a more colourful way.
Moodle is a very good tool, it provides you lots of inf about what the students are  doing, but, for young kids, it �s not that appealing. So, now I have a moodle,but I put a link to the blog I started some two months ago. Most of my kids are happy with the blog, and, I think, the only difference is because it is more lively.
However, my blog doesn �t give me the feedback I need.
Kind of a difficult choice, so I decided to have both, but I am still stepping around.
If you want, you can have a look.
Moodle
http://www.eb23carlosteixeira.net/moodle/login/index.php
username ( nome utilizador ): olinda
pass: olsols

left side of the page, pick those with the name   E-lessons

and the blog
http://englishisfun-esl.blogspot.com/

If you have different opinions / ideas I would be happy to have some feedback.

Off to bed, tomorrow is a BIG day, i �ll be a GRANNY. Wish me luck.
hugs
linda

28 Apr 2010     

Sulany
Brazil

Hi Cheezels,

I use Key to School. It �s free and works pretty well.

@ Olinda: Good luck, Granny. May God bless your family.
BTW, the link to your school is not working. Something wrong?
S.

28 Apr 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your replies :-)

I thought about a website or blog but I don �t want my teaching material to be freely available on the net. I wanted it to be password protected. Otherwise my students would not pay for my lessons they would just take what they want!
With moodle I can make various tasks and weeks activities viewable and they can submit assignments etc through the website.
I am not working with children so the fact that I cannot upload masses of pictures etc does not bother me. It is purely a way to organise and let students access work in a private/secure environment.

I am going to be using scribblar which is a free online chat/shared whiteboard application tool.

Thanks for your suggestions I will check them out!

R

28 Apr 2010