Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > ideas needed    

ideas needed

saszka2
Poland

ideas needed

I teach a group of children who are 2 and 3 years old. There are about 20 of them and I teach them for about 20 minutes every day. The problem is that I completely run out of ideas what I could do with them. They don �t write, they don �t cut, drawing doesn �t work with them, because they are really tiny. They can hardly speak they native language. When I give them pictures they usually damage them.
I taught them all the songs and games I know and I don �t know what else I could do to make them interested. Have you got any ideas?

27 Apr 2010      

Missgeorgie
Argentina

Hi!!!! Have you tried with videos??? like Magic English, for example?
Here �s a site with some songs and ideas:
Another thing that could work are stories!!!!! Traditional or non traditional, there are sites where you can download them even with audio. At the bookshops there usually are thousands of resources and even textbooks for toddlers!!
Hope it �s useful!! 

27 Apr 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Nightmare!

I used a couple of glove puppets. And some of my sons toys.

Flashcards of toys animals etc-  play a memory for example, or hide them and get them to find them or put in groups.

Its important to remember that just listening to you and being exposed to English is very good for them a t this stage.  As you say they dont even know anything of their own language yet.

I dont envy you thats for sure.

good luck

27 Apr 2010     

Ancient
Mexico

Remember that TPR never fails with kids, make them move around and let �em touch, you  need realia, though.

In order for you to form dynamics, I mean Pairs, trios, etc let them stretch out for a while have them walk and do the action that you choose for instance tell them to run then to fly etc and when you mention a number, let �s say 2, 3, 4, 5 etc that means that you want them to work in a team that has that number of students.

Hope this can help!!!

Greetings from Mexico,  your friend Marcos.

27 Apr 2010     

verybouncyperson
Spain

My boss told me about a good activity which has worked well with my class of 4-year-olds.  Have numbered envelopes on the board with different topic flashcards in each.  Ask a student to choose an envelope (great if they can say the number, if not just pointing) and then review the vocab in that envelope with a song or game.

E.G.
Body parts - Head, shoulders, knees and toes
Colours - Touch something...
Animals - Get them to be the different animals you say
Activities - Get them to mime the activity

With songs as well, he suggested repeating the song in different ways - shouting, crying, quietly, slowly (end with one of those two so they �re nice at calm!).

I don �t envy you at all - I have a class of eight 4-year-olds twice a week for 45 minutes and it �s tough Confused

Good luck
T Smile

27 Apr 2010