Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > WARM UP IDEAS    

WARM UP IDEAS

VALERIA FERNANDEZ
Uruguay

WARM UP IDEAS

HI PEOPLE, 
IM AN ENGLISH TEACHER FROM URUGUAY, AND I NEED SOME WARM UP ACTIVITIES TO ENCOURAGE MY CHILDREN SINCE SOME OF THEM ARE LAZY, THEAY RE LITTLE KIDS AND THEY ARE NOT USED TO SPEAK IN ENGLISH ALL THE TIME.
ANOTHER QUESTION: HOW CAN I MAKE FOR THE BIG ONES ( FROM 6 TO 9 YEARS OLD) TO SPEAK IN ENGLISH ALL THE TIME? IT IS DIFFICULT FOR ME.
THANKS FOR ALL AND HAVE A GREAT DAY. 

28 Apr 2010      

Sorcha
Portugal

Hi! Have you tried some kinaesthetic activities? They usually get excited as  they are not only using the language but also doing some physical activity. Try these activities:

1) Take a ball into the classroom. Pre teach/revise some vocabulary and then ask them to form a circle, you throw the ball to one of them and he has to say one of the words, then it�s his turn to throw it to a colleague. If they fail, they �re out of the game.

2) Teach them a chant and ask them to repeat it and do the mime. eg: Point to the window, point to the door, up to the ceiling, down to the floor.

3) Prepare bingo games.

4) Do some craft work. eg. teach circle, triangle, rectangle and square; give them a worksheet with these forms, ask them to colour the pictures and then they cut them. Finally, they paste the forms and do their own picture. It could be trees, the sun, a train, a house, flowers, etc.
If they can �t cut, you may do it yourself in advance.

Hope it works!

28 Apr 2010     

cemorana
Austria

HI!

I my experience with little kids, I do not expect them to fully engage in an english conversation, it is very difficult! Sorcha has recommended you some very good ideas. There is a book I can fully recommend called "Very young learners" (from the Oxford university Press) with lots of ideas to be used in the classroom. 

28 Apr 2010     

sandytg
Cameroon

Hi,
as a warm up I often use a small exercise on a whiteboard (or blackboard) as I find the young ones really love using the �big board � and it �s quite informal :

1 - draw pictures of the vocabulary you want to revise / use and say the word - the children have to draw a circle around the picture or tick it - with the little ones it works well for the letters of the alphabet or numbers / shapes etc.

2. pictures and words as a matching exercise - with each child taking a turn to match one up

A great one for body parts and shapes is on a pinboard - we called it make an alien:
Make some templates from card for the body parts you want to teach/revise make them a little bit unusual like a square head , extra long legs or very short, lots of eyes etc

The body is already in place (I just did a medium sized oval shape)

The first child places one part at your instruction for example - Put the triangle head on then that child tells the next one what to do and so on until they create an unusual alien with ears on their legs and all sort of fun things

Sometimes we reinforced this by drawing our alien and labelling the parts - we also did an extra large one for a wall display

Another one my children loved was musical chairs with the vocabulary or pictures stuck onto the chairs and a bit of music to dance around to - I often used this to end the lesson as well to reinforce new vocabulary - you need a bit of space for this exercise and it depends of course on the size of your class.

I agree with Cemorana that the young ones really won �t engage in full english conversation but will use vocabulary they learn with encouragement and as their confidence grows.

Hope this helps

29 Apr 2010