Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching English to Brazilians - help.    

Teaching English to Brazilians - help.

jocado
Ireland

Teaching English to Brazilians - help.

I �m teaching some Brazilian students at the moment - does anyone know of particular difficulties Brazilians have with English.

28 Apr 2010      

yanogator
United States

I know of one pronunciation problem. They can confuse initial "r" and "h", because an initial "r" in Portuguese has a sound similar to English "h".  Because of this, some will sometimes pronounce initial "h" as "r". A friend of mine from Brazil was going to New York City, and he was excited because he was "going to eat a rot dog on the street".

Bruce

28 Apr 2010     

gloriawpai
Brazil

They also have difficulties with the -th sound as in three, thumb, etc..
and they say "hestaurant"  instead of restaurant. Or "head beans "instead of red beans. Another one is that they don �t finish the word as in coffee, but instead, they say "cough". Or hap instead of happy, etc...

29 Apr 2010     

zailda
Brazil

They also have difficulties with vowel sounds and say in the same way "man" and "men", "bad" and "bed", "cheap" and "chip".

They tend to add "a" before names, like if they were nouns: She is "a" Mary.

They mix he, she and it.

Words in Portuguese have "gender" so they think in Portuguese and refer to a table as "she" (because this work is feminine in Portuguese).

And everything is "your" (like in Portuguese). ("seu" means: your, her, his, its, their, yours, hers, theirs in Portuguese)

Besides sounds, students tend to mix English grammar with Portuguese (and they are not similar at all), they speak English while thinking in Portuguese. If you teach them how to think in English you �ll make it.

Hugs

Zailda

29 Apr 2010     

douglas
United States

Very interesting observations everyone--quite enlightening.

29 Apr 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

I find they have difficulty with using "how"
"How do you call it" instead of "What do you call it."

They also have problems with the "ed" endings for the past simple. They pronounce the �ed � as an extra syllable and do not understand that many past simple words are spelt with �ed � but pronounced �t � and �d �.

Try them with the tongue twister: "Thirty three thieves think that Thursday is their birthday". It really does their heads in.

They have a problem with shushing up. They are delightful and they just loooove to talk. Never a dull classroom when you have Brazilians.
I love them!

Long may the Brazilians be part of my class!
Cheers Joy

29 Apr 2010     

zailda
Brazil

...and Brazilians do love you, Joy!

You �re right, we �re very talkative... LOL  You �ll never have problems in conversation classes, even with bad pronunciation or grammar mistakes, we do love to communicate.

Have a nice day!

29 Apr 2010     

jocado
Ireland

Thank you everyone, all your answers have been really interesting and informative.

29 Apr 2010