Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > 5-6 year olds    

5-6 year olds

millmo
France

5-6 year olds

Hi
I have been asked to start teaching 5-6year olds in September. I am used to older children. Anyone have experience at this age, any lesson plan suggestions. It �s only 30 minutes lessons, I guess songs and simple activities, but suggestions welcome!

29 Apr 2010      

lapaoiza
Argentina

Hi there... I teach those ages and I suggest that you should never forget about songs...
www.supersimplelearning.com is a great site for them... there are some videos about "how to teach Engllish" with those songs in youtube (try searching the uses supersimplelearning).

I play lots of games, mainly with colours and numbers vocabulary... at that age, they are really good at painting, and they also love puppets and stories... so try to decide the vocabulary you would like to work with and then, I am sure you will find lots of ideas for your classes.

If you like, you can send me a PM and I�ll be glad to give more details about what I have just written.

Have a nice day.

Love, 

Paola 

30 Apr 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

I teach to that level also and Paola gave you really good tips. When picking songs, try to find songs that will physically involve the kids. (ex: If you �re happy, Hokey Pokey...)

My classes are 50 minutes long. I start with doing the song or a story and prepare in advance flashcards of key words in my story or song. I also put miniatures of the flashcards on one sheet to give to the students. When we �re done singing or reading, they take the miniatures and label the words or cut and glue labels with the words. I always leave a copy of the answer key available to them on my board or my interactive whiteboard. After labeling the words, they get to colour the pictures. All this takes about two classes and we start over with a book or a song.

Routine is also good for them. It puts the students in a safer mode and they are less likely to panic if they stick to a routine.

Good luck

30 Apr 2010