Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Double comparative    

Double comparative

niacouto
Portugal

Double comparative

Hello dear friends,

Which is the double comparative here:

1. Hot jobs are getting more and more well-paid.

or

2. Hot jobs are getting better and better paid.

Thank you for your help.

Hugs
Nat�lia

1 May 2010      

kodora
Greece

Some compound adjectives have a first element consisting of an adjective which would normally form a comparative or superlative in one word,either by adding -er/-est, or by an irregular form. Such compound adjectives can therefore form a comparative/superlative by using these changes to the first adjective, rather than by using more/most. However, more and most are also possible:
good-looking � better-looking/more good-looking � best-looking/most good-looking
well-known � better-known/more well-known � best-known/most well-known
Hope  I �ve helped you!
Have a nice weekend!
Dora

1 May 2010     

niacouto
Portugal

Thank you kodora, for your time and attention. Your explanation surely helped.

Have a relaxing weekend.

HugsHug

Nat�lia Wink

1 May 2010     

ccchangch
Peru

We use expressions like faster and faster and more and more expensive to say that something is increasing all the time.

The caravan was rolling faster and faster down the hill.
The queue was getting longer and longer.

The form depends on whether the comparative is with -er (e.g. louder) or with more (e.g. more expensive).

We can also use less and less for something decreasing.
As each new problem arose, we felt less and less enthusiastic.

I hope it would be useful to you.

Have a nice weekend!!!

Carmen Chang

1 May 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Nia

Have a look at this:

Hot jobs are  well-paid

Now, if our prime minister gets to do something right  ( which you all doubt 
( LOL ) ), we would have that:

Hot jobs are getting more and more well-paid.

My opinion, and you know I am as native as you are, well -paid is a kind of an adjective, so you can �t cut it and make a comparative with one part of the adjective- so I would say

Hot jobs are getting more and more well-paid, though we all know that there are no well-paid jobs around.
If you find one, catch it and let us all know where you found it.

Have a nice Sunday, " carpe diem"
Hugs
Linda

2 May 2010     

lshorton99
China

There was a previous post about compound adjectives - I think it was a few weeks ago, where we were debating the merits of the most good-looking or the best-looking. I tried to find the thread but I �m afraid I couldn �t!

As I remember, the consensus was that with compound adjectives, you usually make the first part comparative. That would make your sentence Hot jobs are getting better and better paid, �which also sounds more natural to me. I actually feel that there is a slight difference in meaning in this particular case - to me, �more and more well paid � implies that the jobs were well paid to start with, whereas �better and better paid � implies only that the pay has increased. Again, it �s just a feeling!

If anyone can find the original thread, I believe there was a link in it to a more detailed grammatical explanation!

Lindsey

2 May 2010     

dturner
Canada

I agree with you Lindsey.  The well paid sentence implies that the jobs were well paid and are getting even better.  To my ears, I like the sound of "Hot jobs are getting better and better paid." Although it may not be technically correct, I like the sound of it more.
Denise

2 May 2010