Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > teaching at the plant    

teaching at the plant

pipetochka
Belarus

teaching at the plant

i started to teach English to the adults at the�building-machinery plant. I am so confused because I don �t know what to start with. the level of my students is almost zero. but we have only 3 months to study this language. Help me please!!! there are no any program, no books or anything else to help me. �I have to teach grammar, pronunciation, vocabulary, telephoning, business letters and etc. I am really afraid of them!!! :) Give me please a helping hand...

1 May 2010      

lovemykids
Uruguay

Hi! I understand you perfectly well because once I had to teach a group of students (the supermarket staff) from scratches, they didn �t know anything so I got desperated!!! I had 4 months which is crazy when the students don �t even know the verb to be. I had to creat my own folder with material that books don �t provide,  I searched on the internet and printed images so that I helped them to remember better, there is so much vocabulary to teach in such a short time... so they visually remembered it better. What I don �t understand is why you have to teach them grammar. In my opinion you need to teach them functional english here I agree that you have to mention it  but it is not possible to teach them so many things at the same time. In my case I was asked to teach them but focussing on communication, they learned dialogues, vocabulary, common problems or complaints, etc by heart and as I told you with the help of images and realia. I am afraid you will have to look for specific material regarding the topic and If I were you I would teach them the basic grammar, at the beginning, numbers and so on and mix it with the real context and vocabulary of the topic, play snap with the vocabulary, find the odd one out and whichever game that can help them to remember the vocabulary in a funny way. And above all make them clear that in such a short time they will have to study and memorize quite a lot! And that the most important thing here is to be able to communicate and know the especific vocabulary. Try to make them have fun, adults like it even more than kids. Unfortunately, I can �t help you with the material but I symphatize with you at least! My short course was really successful at last! Good luck. I �m sure you will do great!
Huge hug, AndreaSmile

1 May 2010     

lagringa
Argentina

Hi, send me your email with something that calls my attention so I won �t delete it since I don �t know you. I will send you some books I think I still have, maybe they are useful, if I am not mistaken they cover some of the topics you mention. Bye, Lagringa. 

1 May 2010     

Ximenne
Armenia

I �ve tried this exercise whenever I start teaching adults who know very little English and it has always worked out super well!

I ask them to work first individually, jotting down as many English words they know ( I usually allot 3 minutes for them to do this).
Then I ask them to get in pairs or in threes (depending on the number of Ss) and ask them to compare their notes and give them a couple of extra minutes to do the same, this time in groups.

This exercise always lowers their barriers -adults are usually more worried about mispronunciations and mistakes than kids are- and makes them realise they already know a little bit of English! Smile

Course books usually start by teaching greetings and the verb be in the present. That would be a good way to start too.
Hope this has been useful!
Have a nice day :o)
Xi 

2 May 2010