Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can I say "she wishes"...instead "I wish"    

Can I say "she wishes"...instead "I wish"

lovinglondon
Spain

Can I say "she wishes"...instead "I wish"

hi dear colleagues!
I have always seen in the books the expression "I wish...", but I have never seen for example "she wishes..." or "we wish...".
I wonder if I can say for example the sentence:

She wishes his father drove her to school!! (as it is her desire, not mine)
We wish we could see the match on TV!

Does it sounds right??

Thanks a bunch for your help!!

2 May 2010      

pepelie
United Kingdom

you can use wish in those examples.

although I �d say "she wishes her father would drive her to school"

2 May 2010     

lovinglondon
Spain

Are those examples correct then??
Pepelie, Why would you say "she wishes her father would drive her to school" I don �t see clearly the point in using "would drive" in this example because thias is not a complain.
Thank you!

2 May 2010     

lovinglondon
Spain

Are those examples correct then??
Pepelie, Why would you say "she wishes her father would drive her to school" I don �t see clearly the point in using "would drive" in this example because thias is not a complain.
Thank you!

2 May 2010     

lovemykids
Uruguay

I also use would for complaining. I agree with lovinglondon. Can we also use would  in spite of not being an annoying situation?

2 May 2010     

yanogator
United States

We use "would" because wishing is an unreal situation. It is correct with both "drove" and "would drive", although the sense is a little different to my ears. My interpretation of "She wishes her father drove her to school" is that she would like it to happen every day. With "She wishes her father would drive her to school", the wish could be for a daily occurrence, or just for today.

Remember that "would" is the conditional form of "will", so to use "wish" with "would" doesn �t necessarily indicate a complaint (although that is definitely a common use of it), but a wish for something to happen in the future.

I wish you would come to the US on your next vacation.
She wishes her husband would buy her a nice gift for her next birthday.

I see "wish + would" as the unreal version of "hope + will".

I hope this helps,
Bruce

2 May 2010     

lovinglondon
Spain

Thak you Yanogator! Very useful indeed!

6 May 2010