Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Teaching Grammar    

Teaching Grammar

sarahjane68
Germany

Teaching Grammar

Hi everyone,

I first want to thank everyone for their fantastic worksheets! They are great and are hugely helpful. 

I now have two questions I would like to ask. First, in what order do you all normally teach grammar? Do you begin with the simple things like articles and then work through the various areas of grammar?

My second question is more a rhetorical question in that I doubt there�s really an answer to it. I just wonder why it is that so many people download worksheets but few actually leave a comment? I admit that there have been times when I�ve forgotten to leave a comment but that happens rarely now. 

I hope you all have a lovely evening!

Sarah

2 May 2010      

lshorton99
China

I think we generally start with some functional language - �can � normally comes before articles, as does �do you like/I like � and �have you got/I �ve got � The verb �to be � in its present simple form is one of the first things we teach.

Then we �d move on to the present simple, pronouns, adverbs of frequency, present continuous. I don �t normally get to articles until after the past simple!

It obviously depends a lot on the age of your students.

As to the leaving comments thing - some do, some don �t. It �s been brought up on this forum numerous times and it doesn �t seem to make a difference. If you �re the kind of person who thinks it �s important, you �ll leave a comment. If not, no amount of talking about it will make a difference!

Lindsey

2 May 2010