Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > TOEFL..FCE or CAE    

TOEFL..FCE or CAE

dublinschool
Spain

TOEFL..FCE or CAE

Hi everybody!
I wonder if you could help me out with this ....Can you tell me if the TOEFL is equivalent to the CAE? What are the main differences? Does the TOEFL exam have some kind of "levels?
thanks a lot
have a great week!
Smile

2 May 2010      

corina2211
Spain

Hello Jenny. I can give you the info I had when I took the CAE a couple of years ago. Maybe now it �s outdated. I don �t know. 
Well, I chose the Cambridge University exams because they are valid for life. TOEFL had a 2-years validity. I don �t know if things are the same now. Moreover, the CAE seemed to have a greater prestige in Europe. I am sure that in USA the same thing happens with the TOEFL. So I think that first of all you must consider the reasons for taking it and where you want to use it. 
Both exams test the same skills. The CAE proves that you have a C1 level and the FCE a B2 level (the CAE is more advanced). 
I hope the info helps you and please do not hesitate to PM me for further details.
Hugs,
Corina

PS: Useful links:

2 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Corina is right, TOEFL is ideal if you are planning on studying at a university abroad, mainly North America. They are going to give you a score but you don �t actually "fail" the exam (although if a person gets a score of 100 I �d say it �s just as if they �ve failed...) while most Cambridge exams have A,B or C as passing grades only.

2 May 2010     

lshorton99
China

I found this link:

http://www.ets.org/Media/Research/pdf/CEF_Mapping_Study_Interim_Report.pdf

Basically, it seems to suggest that a score of 57+/120 in the TOEFL is B1 - Cambridge exam PET, 87+/120 is B2 or FCE and 110+/120 is C1 or CAE. It doesn �t seem like the TOEFL goes up to proficiency. Basically you need about 50% for B1, 75% for B2 and 95% for C1.

Incidentally, I believe British and Australian universities often require IELTS which is another exam altogether, although I think a lot of them also accept FCE or CAE.

Hope that helps!

Lindsey

2 May 2010